putting a mercedes diesel into a ford crown victoria police car - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Here it go
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
hahaha. thats a pretty huge engine.

but seriously.

i am seeing now that finding a mercedes diesel is going to be impossible for this car. unless i found a newish year model engine that would cost ultra money and be a computer and wiring nightmare.

but if anyone can think of a proper engine for my application, i would love to hear of it.

the guy that is putting that cummins 24 valve 6 cylinder diesel in that mercedes car is gonna have a nose heavy car! but wow. can u imagine that at the drag racing track!

anyone ever see that duramax powered 62 impala? search for it on youtube. it beats a lamborghini by a landslide in the quartermile. amazing.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 01:29 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jun 2013
Originally Posted by encyclopediadictionary View Post
look. i am in the earthmoving business. my dad started in the early 60's. i am now 33.
i have worked on heavy equipment all my life. we have a shop. welders. and i send parts to a machine shop every week.
so i do have experience somewhat.

but... havent fooled with mercedes cars or diesels much. i have fooled with liebherr heavy equipment that had a few mercedes power plants.

so...i thought maybe i would get a warm welcome as a new member on this site. not...people saying they dont like people daydreaming up ideas like the one i have.
this is a forum? why not ask a question like this? and for someone saying i should do research...well...i am doing research! that is why i am asking!
i also joined several other boards on the internet. i joined superturbodiesel.com performance turbo diesel mercedes, W123, W116 and up. OM617, OM60X. i joined shuman automotive.com. i joined www.4btswaps.com.
i am aware of the crown victoria forum. i used to be a member there as well years ago. i have owned several police cars in the past.
i have done a cummins 12 valve conversion on a 1989 f-350 of mine..but as soon as i got the motor in...someone came by and purchased the truck from me.
i have installed detroit diesels into varios machines we built in our shop.

so...i would say i have experience..and i am not stupid...and i think its a very worthy question to ask.
in fact...i have probably turned more bolts than those who have criticized me for thinking of such a converion and asking about it on here. if someone doesnt like me asking...why was my post interesting enough for you to want to read it and comment on it here? and if you dont believe i have experience in heavy equipment..u can meet me in person...i can show you my caterpillar equipment in use every day, powerstroke diesel work trucks...tractor trailers to haul equipment...and even the old junk yard of 40 years of worn out equipment my dad and i own.

so i wanna learn about mercedes and join a forum to research. and thats what i am doing.

to those who were kind enough to respond to my post with a kind response..thank you. i appreciate it.

so back to my crown victoria idea. .....

is the automatic that usually comes with the 5 cylinder mercedes diesel...is it just as heavy application as the 4r70w that comes in the stock police interceptor crown victoria?

oh..by the way...i managed my brother in laws transmission shop for a year. i built my own 4r70w transmission once. can be a very good transmission. bauman engineering makes a stand alone controller for the tranny. connecting the tranny to the benz diesel is my biggest fear. i am not saying i am a transmission expert..and i never touched a mercedes transmission. most of the time i was in the management position. but i promise you i can build a caterpillar powershift transmission. but im not saying i am an expert. i just dont have mercedes experience.

the idea behind the crown vic is...i like the dang cars. but i want good fuel mileage. and i love to play with diesel engines. its a heavy car. torque is needed. diesels build torque. why not put a diesel in it?

can i modify a mercedes diesel for a reasonable cost to have as good as...or better performance than the stock 4.6 and get better mileage?

would another diesel engine be better suited? isnt the vw turbodiesel a new engine that would be very expensive?

this forum is supposed to be fun. whats wrong with brainstorming and seeing new ideas. wow.

thanks to all who support my project!

I'm on your side dude. I drive crown vics for a living, I'm a cab driver, so I too am looking for a conversion, mainly to save as much $$$ on fuel as possible. During the summer months here in the states, cab business is very slow. Plus, I'm in the Midwest. Makes it even more slow. So, the more $$$ saved, the better.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: W163 ML320, W203 C320, w204 c350 Sport
I don't know if you have them in the US but the OM628 v8 diesel from the W163 ML400cdi is a nice alternative.

I've been hunting for a replacement for my ml320 lately and I found them ml400s to be relatively quiet, loads of torque, moderate fuel consumption and for what i've seen you can get a remap, up the turbo pressure and get nice gains.

Check this out
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: