post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: GLK 250 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to order a Mercedes direct from Germany

I know that some diplomats and personnel in international organizations can usually order a car direct from the manufacturer, to save tax or to get different specs than available in the local market.For example, if a German diplomat resident in the States wants to get a car that he can take back to Germany with him, he orders it direct from the manufacturer. Obviously this only works if the manufacturer offers that facility.
I know BMW does, and so does Volvo.
Does anyone know if MB offer such a service, and if so how would one get in touch with them.
Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 92 500SEL to 01 E320T and others
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You can order a car to be delivered in Europe, drive it and then have it modified to meet US specs and shipped over. As a diplomat you might get away with just shipping one over, but you are not, and with the strength of the Euro its another issue. The car has to be ordered by a US dealer, unless you want to go to Europe with cash and work with one of the dealers there. Of course taking more than $10,000 out of the country could get you a vist from the IRS.
I would think diplomats would buy in Euros in thei home country.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I don't think the diplomat tax free sales are directly from the factory. At least from the experience in my family (no diplomats but some personnel in the organisation that have the same benefits) the local car importer has a diplomat and/or tax free sales organisation (through which in some cases even ordinary shops can deliver cars). Because of their status the car is registered to be exported and no tax needs to be paid before it leaves the country (typically not at the destination either but that is their business). The dealer may get an additional discount from the factory for diplomat sales like for their show room cars but the car is still basically delivered from the factory equally as other cars. The car I'm referring was an MB of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in