BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1974 Mercedes-Benz 450 SLC, C107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A quick hello from a French 450 SLC owner

Hello everybody!

I'm French and I love Mercedes-Benz since a long time, especially the older ones. I'm studying law (in fact in few weeks I should be a lawyer).

Recently I decided to buy a splendid 1974 450 SLC, with only 138.000kms on the clock, in a very good shape. It has only few minor rust points. It's absolutely beautiful...

I'm completely astonished by the car. It's yellow, with a cream leather interior, 14" alloys, electrical sunroof, windows and antenna, headlights-wipers, A/C, centralized condemnation of the doors-boot-fuel door...

The motor is a dream. Smooth, powerful, quite responsive and very torquey, it makes an addictive growling noise at idle... The first gear is a bit long, but after that the car is impressively fast. The kickdown is perfect and the gearbox is very smooth and fast.
The suspensions are just great, surprisingly firm but vastly comfortable... All the electric functions are working perfectly, but the rear side windows are very slow and can't retract more than a half. The front ones, as well as the sunrof, are fast and silent. The heater is very quick, and even the A/C seems to work!

Only things are a quite big play in the steering (but the steering itself works smoothly and regularly) and a siren-like noise coming from the rear (rear axle or diff surely) between 60 and 80 km/h.

The mpg is a bit frightening, but I changed the oil from motor,gearbox and direction (slightly leaking BTW) as well as the spark plugs so it should increase slightly.

I made around 500kms with it and it's just incredible. I adore it. Very relaxing to drive, and that enormous bonnet in front of you... The interior could be new, the ergonomics are easy (the A/C is a tad complicated though), the seats very comfortable (not much side support)... The suspension is impressive: the bodyroll is very noticeable, but the car is not too soft, very comfortable indeed. Not very agile or oprecise of course. Also the gearbox is very pleasant.

I love it. I'll post pics later, my internet access is limited at the moment.

Last edited by coolraoul; 09-20-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 05:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: '87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I find a lot to admire about the style of these SLC's & and can't believe they are so under-appreciated, compared to convertibles. I was on the verge of buying a 1973 450slc a few weeks back. One reason I did'nt buy, was my mechanic not being a big 'fan' of the D-Jetronic injections systems... apparently lots of areas to check/eliminate, when they happen to act up. Which I took him to mean, that he'd be handing me even BIGGER bills

But did some research & found many glowing reports, some shared below.

Enjoy your SLC !
Some historical quotes from experts can be found here: Mercedes Benz 107 SL SLC Resource Center 280 280sl 350 350sl 380 380sl 420 420sl 450 450sl 500 500sl 560 560sl , like...

"...most of these 1972-1989 V-8-powered SLs have engines that are just about unburstable. "I've driven a number of early 4.5-liter SLs with 750,000 or more on their engines," said Rugg. "At a million miles they get a little edgy". That may be stretching things just a bit, according to Cunha and Marx. But both agree the iron-block V-8s are exceptionally long-lived. Around 350,000 before a bottom-end overhaul isn't unrealistic," said Cunha. "The top end is often good for 180,000-240,000 miles." And from Marx, "I have some customers with at least 300,000 miles on their cars and the engines haven't even needed valve jobs."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 1972 280CE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Welcome, I do have a soft spot for these cars (I have 3!). Pictures please.

With best regards

Check out the W114, W115 /8 enthusiast forum http://www.stroke8.org

My 280SL restoration
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: