BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1983 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to SpareMomentCreations
(Thread Starter)
Question I'm new here...hope this is the place to get help

I have a 1983 300D...I'm the second owner... and I've had the car since 2001.
146,000 miles (I got all manuals and service records at purchase) The automatic car was immaculate and everything worked except the tach and cruise control.
Til this year...now I have some problems and my mechanic seems stumped.
(1) When the car is cold, it is very unhappy about changing out of low gear. I have to really baby her to keep it from over revving. Suggestions?

(2) A/C used to freeze me out...several months ago, it stopped. I mean no getting bad just quit blowing cool air. The thermostat had no effect. Fan would change speeds and vent adjustments worked. No cooling. Mechanic said I had a fan that was not working. Fuse was good, traced it and there was a bad switch somewhere...He charged the coolant, I paid and away I went. Happy again...not cold as before, but so much better than hot air. Less than a week, no AC... Back to the garage. He's had the car for 2 days..Now tells me the fan stopped working again. And supposedly all of the coolant escaped (is it not a closed system?) and he is trying to find the leak.

Ok, I admit it. I'm a girl. A blonde girl so I am not up on everything auto. Though I can change oil, tires, and fan belts with the best of them (used to own a Fiat)...Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't even know what to ask at this point. I'm hopelessly hot!!
PS: If I posted this in the wrong place, please forgive me. It's hot here!

NEW info from my mechanic...which still doesn't make much sense to me. He said the switch on the dryer for the condenser fan is working intermittently and he doesn't know why. And he is having a hard time finding the switch. Now this was a voice mail. So I think he's having a hard time finding a new switch?? (Hopefully not having a hard time finding the switch on my car! ) Suggestions I can give him on where to find such a part? I've now paid to have coolant added to the car 3 THREE times..and that's getting expensive. I told him the next can is on him! Suggestions

Last edited by SpareMomentCreations; 09-12-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: New info to add
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 01:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 230 1986 560SL 2008 Honda CRV
How hot is it?? we had frost warnings here lastnight.

btw welcome
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1983 300D
Send a message via Yahoo to SpareMomentCreations
(Thread Starter)
Cool Thanks!! I love brisk Fall temps!

Thanks for the 'warm' welcome....It was 78 yesterday. We've really had very dry and hot summer this year. Not our typical moderate climate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in