post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1987 420 SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission Issues

Hi to everyone. I'm new to the forum but have had my Benz for 4 years. It's a 1987 420 SEL with 219,000 miles. I really love the car and have slowly been tinkering with it to keep it looking and running well.

The transmission seemed to be shifting irratically so I recently took the car to my local mechanic - whom I've always had alot of confidence in. They replaced a number of hoses on the transmission that were leaking and replaced some kind of valve body that was mounted outside the transmission. They also completely drained the fluid and relaced it with new. All of this cost me about $ 450.00. A couple of weeks later while driving the car on the highway, the transmission would - for no reason - drop down by one or even two gears and shoot the engine RPM's up really high. I quickly slipped the shifter into neutral and the RPM dropped down. I would wait about 5 to 7 seconds and then slip it back into drive and everything would be OK. After it did this 3 or 4 times, I took it back to my mechanic and they seemd awfully quick to tell me that the transmission was shot and I would need a new one. I brought the car home (about a 10 minute drive) and it ran perfectly - with no issues. I drove it again today for about 15 minutes and it did the shifting down thing 3 times. Once I shift the car into neutral and back into drive everything runs perfect.

So here is my quandry. Do you guys really think the transmission needs to be completely replaced or is there something else, that might costs less money to repair, that might be wrong. It doesn't make sense to me that the car can run so well between these "events" if the transmission was toast.

If anyone else has experienced similar problems and might be able to shed some light on the subject - I would surely appreciate it.

I belong to a couple of other forums for the hobbies that I have and really believe in the idea of talking with fellow owners such as yourselves.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me.

Paul Roza
Waxhaw, NC
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: