Hello everyone! I saved a E320 wagon from the scrapper! Now, I need help and parts... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2004 E320 Wagon 4m, 2001 E320 Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello everyone! I saved a E320 wagon from the scrapper! Now, I need help and parts...

I recently bought a 94 E320 wagon with 163k and in seemingly good running order. This poor car was given as a gift to a college kid in downtown Boston and used to haul a fishing boat on it's roof. Over a two year period, this kid destroyed the car cosmetically, gouged all the panels with his aluminum boat and then had the LR and tailgate windows smashed out completely, leaving it open to rain. Needless to say, it was cheap, ugly and dangerous to drive where the interior was so badly soiled and littered with bits of broken glass, all the while the sounds of the ocean waves breaking all around (OOPS, that would be the 3" of water in the back wells and the third seat compartment! Did I forget to mention the smashed windshield, broken off pass side mirror or smashed out taillight assy? One flat tire? $3.50 in ashtray change? TWO WEEKS LATER: I've changed the oil, repaired obvious broken vacuum lines under the hood, replaced the blower fan, rear window glass, side window and regulator assy, charged the AC, 2 new tires, rear pads and rotors, and probably 30hrs of intense recon and buffing. It's pretty respectable now, drives well, and everything seems to be in order. Now, here are my needs: Service help with - 1. when cold, the trans slides gingerly into third, after it's all up to temp, it's fine all day. 2. a nasty oil leak, seemingly from the same spot as all the posts refer to at the front of the head gasket, sort of behind the fan clutch bearing area. 3. How do I find out if the engine wiring harness is bad? All that I've seen looks good, is there a "bad area" that's typical? 4. When I first start the car there is a sound from what I'm guessing to be the hydraulic suspension system pumping up? I can't feel a thing, but I feel like I'm getting ready for an F14 preflight... there are other sounds after you've stopped, like a vacuum motor running somewhere, it's hard to pinpoint. Now some cosmetics to deal with... Both of my bumper impact strips are victims of this college kid. He evidently hit everything except the books. The front center section is missing all together. I'll recover the armrest lid, and touch up tons of scratches. Despite it's hard life recently, she's still got heart and lots of life. I'll admit that it's a drastic improvement from driving my old 240's, but I'll keep working with this car making it all I can for as little as possible. Any help on the service issues or bumper parts will be greatly appreciated! - Chris PS: the CL asking price was $3500, after an hour of laughing, joking and seeing the car for what it truly was, she offered me the car for $550 -delivered. I'm currently hovering around $1300 with used glass, lenses, and electrical parts. New brake parts totalled around $150 and probably another $150 in filters, oil and plugs. (oh, and a lucky find of a matching Michelin tire at the local tire store for $15, installed!)

Last edited by yankeejukebox@comcast.net; 09-01-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 75 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. Try doing fluid & filter for the trans. If that doesn't fix it, then you'll probably need a rebuild. Or, just just do the slipping upshift manually while backing off the gas to preserve the clutches. I did the 3-4 shift in my 300td like that for years before I rebuilt it.
2. Those inline 6's all leak there eventually.
3. If it looks like the harness is ok, it probably is.
4. That noise may be the trans front pump...
Sounds like a great transportation car.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: