LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Member with old problems!

I bought my first Mercedes 2 years ago ( 2000 slk230 ) and , of course just before inspection time the check engine light came on.. I had the 4 codes mentioned in a lot of other posts that pointed to bad soldering points on the K40 relay. I did the soldering and the CE problem was cured and the car passed.. Now, a month later the car has decided that it does not want to crank - but only intermittently. I turn the key and nothing but dash panel light come on.. the engine cooling fan also comes on but the engine does not crank. If I hold the key there in the start position after a couple of minutes the engine cranks but only for 1 second then stops cranking without a start. As I said this is intermittent and at some times I am lucky and the car starts.. but after driving a few miles it will die and nothing i can do will start it - except wait for about 10 minutes and with perserverance it will crank as mentioned above, but eventually enough tries and it will start.
It's not the battery so no need to go there. I've checked my K40 soldering job and it still looks good.
I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor and that hasn't helped.
I bought an obd2 diagnostic tool and I have no codes at all.
I checked the dashboard ignition collar and it is lined up on the ignition switch with the line pointing upward.
I am lost.. and terribly afraid to take it to a dealer who will simply guess as i have until they replace the right part and charge for each and every one of them..
has anyone else fixed a problem like this before?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jul 2008
(Thread Starter)
OK.. So hello BenzWorld.. This forum has saved me a trip to the dealer and all the associated costs of having them replace parts one at a time until they run the bill to $3000 or more before fixing the problem.. Both of the problems mentioned in my previous post were caused by the K40 relay. The first one was fixed by soldering the points suggested in numerous other posts.. The second was corrected by soldering the points to the left of the first fix... I also soldered the points to the left of those for good measure so that I don't have to discover what those control..
Attached Images
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 09:32 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Aug 2008
This sounds very similar to a problem I used to have on my SLK. The engine would not crank intermitantly so when it didn't the diagnostic check came up with 'no communication' and when it did crank 'no faults found' so we did what Ford suggest to their dealers do is a wiggle test, in others words wiggle any wires you can and guess what we found it, a bad joint and replaced a relay unit in the box very near to the ECU's, part number 210 540 00 72 (approx £94) and no problems ever since. Good luck.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: