post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Command Navi

Hi,
I have a 2003 CLK55 with built in navi. I noticed that it does not display the names of roads near the car(regardless of zoom), except the current road i'm driving displayed at the bottom of the screen. I have fiddled with all the settings and havent been able to get it to display nearby road names( which would help alot).

I was wondering if its because i need new map data? or if a soft/firmware update for the navi(if it exists) could fix it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It would help people answer your question if you told us where you live. Please go to the User CP and complete your profile.

In the USA, the latest release date for the CDs is 01/08. Get a new CD and ask the dealer if any software updates are available. At best, these navigation units are inferior to the aftermarket ones available.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 05:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
I... At best, these navigation units are inferior to the aftermarket ones available.
True !

2010 B200, Polar Silver, Premium Pkg
2008 ML350, Obsidian Black, Premium Pkg
2008 C300, Calcite White
2007 C230, 040 Black, Premium Pkg (gone)
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY2008ML350 View Post
True !
Hey MY2008ML350,

And you have the DVD-based unit(s) in your 2007 and 2008 cars correct? I guess we agree about the CD-based ones, but are you talking about the DVD ones too?

Last edited by Musikmann; 09-01-2008 at 05:52 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Inferior? MB system cost several thousands dollars, while Delorem antenna and software $39.
It is all how you compare it. I am a technically inclined guy who can interpret all readouts on the car and actually like to have them shown. When I was driving VW Jetta the temperature gauge was showing "concrete" 80C and never moved. At the beginning I was impress with the car cooling system, but later on reading more about the car, I learned that it is computerized like our MB are.
So you think the car never raised coolant temperature even going for 7 miles on 7% grade at 80 mph? Dream on. It was computer that was giving me the impression and as long as there is no overheating it would stay glued.
We all know, that temperature gauges in MB usually fluctuate between 80-85 C don't we?
Coming to MB GPS. It will never show you lost between the streets. Even with no GPS signal it will show the car movements. Problem is, that it is all estimate and sooner or later with better signal your position will "jump" a block , or 2.
So what do you prefer? Slight miscalculation or display showing "No signal"?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 01:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Coming to MB GPS. It will never show you lost between the streets. Even with no GPS signal it will show the car movements. Problem is, that it is all estimate and sooner or later with better signal your position will "jump" a block , or 2.
So what do you prefer? Slight miscalculation or display showing "No signal"?
We've "argued" this with Kajek1 before but I would emphasise that at least new MB navi devices have a GPS receiver that outperforms just about any standalone unit, at best after market devices can reach the same GPS accuracy as a modern MB navi unit if they use a good antenna on top of the car roof.

But the problem Kajtek1 describes is not only from the GPS receiver accuracy, at Manhattan streets even the best GPS would occasionally have relatively significant errors. I have not had a chance to test my car in New York but a standalone unit was easily lost when buildings blocked too many satellites.

It should be pretty rare for the combination of a high accuracy GPS receiver and gyros plus speed signal to get confused with parallel streets but I've seen that happen on older MB navigation units (abroad on a taxi). I even don't know if my navi locks the display to the street it assumes I am because I've never seen it showing this kind of an error, it neither jumps between streets as it does not see the GPS error (this is where I drive which is more of open sky even in cities with a lot of streets close to each other).

It would sort of give more info for an experienced driver it the Navi showed the actual location it estimates from GPS but a vigorously moving map display would be pretty confusing too. With an older device it might be better to stop for a moment if possible at an open sky location to let the GPS get an accurate fix and afterwards allow gyros to keep you on the right road.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
(Thread Starter)
Hi,
Thanks for the replies, my main point is whether anyone knows if an upgrade cd will also upgrade the system so that it will display road names for most roads on the screen.

I live in toronto, canada,and want to know if the $400+ i pay for the cd will upgrade the systems software so it shows street names(the roads around here havent changed in 5 years so the 03 cd i have is still really acurate, i'm just after the streetname display)

Thanks
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
But the problem Kajtek1 describes is not only from the GPS receiver accuracy, at Manhattan streets even the best GPS would occasionally have relatively significant errors. I have not had a chance to test my car in New York but a standalone unit was easily lost when buildings blocked too many satellites..
Again, what MB is giving you is illusion. My Delorme antenna works from my living room table. That is thru wood frame and composition roof. I don't know if MB is using gyros for backup, or compass, but whatever it is on our 2001 model sucks. I hate routinely see my position on the middle of the lake near by.
And again, mapping software for US is having $20 value and the one I have from Delorme shows hiking trails.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Every new CD release will contain more information. However, they do not upgrade the COMAND/NAV software, you have to have that done by someone with the proper equipment. Dealers have the capability and maybe some of the larger MB independent shops. Hopefully, someone on here from your area has already done this and will comment on the specifics.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 02:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Again, what MB is giving you is illusion. My Delorme antenna works from my living room table. That is thru wood frame and composition roof. I don't know if MB is using gyros for backup, or compass, but whatever it is on our 2001 model sucks. I hate routinely see my position on the middle of the lake near by.
And again, mapping software for US is having $20 value and the one I have from Delorme shows hiking trails.
No need to argue on this because we anyway talk about different devices. My Comand APS gives mostly 12 satellites where I drive, no device does better than that. Even my cell phone gives a good GPS fix at my home, even if it is only partly made of wood and the cell phone GPS only has a compromise antenna for obvious reasons.

You can certainly get cheaper options, I've never claimed MB was the cheapest for almost anything. But that is not the main argument for buying an MB.

It does sound like a bad antenna or something else wrong if an older MB navi puts you to a lake. The "fix your position to a road" is not doing that and near by a lake you probably have good satellite visibility. Or could it be an issue with conflicting info from gyros, Kajtek's Navi processor must have gyros too but those have stopped working on some older units. A missing speed signal should would confuse the Navi but it should show up with malfunction messages on the cluster (for other than navigation reasons). But again, I do not have experience about a similar MB navi unit. I'd have the device diagnosed.

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 08-30-2008 at 02:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in