Hello All! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 1987 420 SEL (Daily driver)1981 240 D (sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hello All!

As you can tell I am new to this website and this is my first post. Back in the early 90's I purchased my first MB. A 1981 240D. My friend owned a collision shop and he bought it from a customer.I restored the body in his shop for minimal cost and had a real looker.It was canary yellow(factory color) with hubcaps to match the car.The interior was mint,the seats were fabric with leather trim and no AC. My buddy told me at the time it was "euro" and I didn't understand that till reading this forum. It had chrome front and rear bumpers with no moulding on the ends and a funny looking trailer hitch. The car was awesome,4 wheel disc brakes,rear headrests and shoulder traps for a 1981 was amazing. Idrove the car for several years in MIchigan(Ann Arbor) then drove it 23 hours straight to Boca Raton Florida.The car lasted a couple more years down here and finally died.I speculated injector pump. didn't even have internet then.The floor had rotted out at drivers seat too,piece a plywood helped with that. I traded it in for a mitsubishi galant.

Next Chapter

So 3 years ago we leased a VW Touareg with an option to buy.My wife was working 10 miles away and 15k a year was fine. Things changed,she got a new job making 20k more a year 40 miles each way. Now the car has 54k and we are only allowed 60k and we have 15 mos until we can turn it in The Touareg is really nice but VERY EXPENSIVE to repair. At 36k I replaced tires and brakes $2300.00.Everytime you replace the pads you must replace the rotors,you can't turn them(thats what VW dealer says).Oil change $110.So I decided we were going to get rid of it after the lease and need something to get the wife to and from work.I fell in love with the w126 when an old couple used to bring their 1988 420 SEL in to my buddys shop and I decided to start researching purchasing one. I did quite a bit of research(that's how I found this website) and found several on Ebay in FLA.I carfaxed a couple and found some shady car salesman,then I found my car! 1987 420 SEL ( 2 owners not counting dealer). The first owner bought it in NH and brought it to Fla where they kept it 16 years.The next owner had it for 4 years.The oil change records are on duct tape on the frame on top of the headlight. The pictures of the car looked good and I ended up paying $1676.00 on a Friday night.Sat after I drive home from the inlaws,get insurance on the car and AAA my wife dropped me off at Ft. Lauderdale airport,I rented a car and headed to Sarasota to pick up the car. I arrived at Sarasota airport,dropped off the rental car and the dealer picked me up.We went to his used car lot,did the paperwork and $$ and I was gone.The car is beautiful!!! I filled it up and drove 220 miles in three hours and was home,22mpg.Barely any radio just listening to her hum,thinking the timing chain guides were going to fall to pieces on alligator alley and I would fry the motor.I made it and here I am. So far I have done an oil change,had center vent diaphram fixed and a rear end seal fixed and tranny filter and fluid change.I put front and rear shocks in it the past two weekends as well as a monovalve for good measure.DIY pages are a lifesaver.Sorry for being so long winded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in