How many out there would prefer 3 pedals? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How many out there would prefer 3 pedals?

I've always been a 'car enthusiast' and although I would agree MB as being the worlds best ''passenger'' car, I've never viewed it as a "drivers" car simply because without a 3rd pedal and manual shifter- the drive is kinda boring, tiresome even.

I've been blessed to drive most every benz to grace our earth from the 70's on. Including 108 chassis all the way to SL65 doing a breath taking donut, even an SLR. My beef is where's the stick shift???

How many out there wish they could get a stick with their SL's, ClK's, SLR's heck even an E class. Critic's agree, the C63 is an awesome car but editors are still asking- where is that stick shift??

Anyone else's takes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 2005 CLK320, 1989 560SL, 2006 SLK350
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree. Now, one reason I've come to Mercedes however is the auto. My wife pretty much insisted my next car have room for 4 and an auto. I finally caved after much debate but said I'd get an auto, but it had to be my way (M-B) vs. an even more boring alternative (Honda/Nissan/Buick whatever!).

Mercedes has always been more of an auto company. Their cars are supposed to do everything for you, right? It's not really been a drivers car until recently and at that it's been a struggle to get people to accept it.

All of that in mind, I'd love to feel what an SL/SLK/CLK or C/E class would be like in stick. I can drive a stick SLK whenever I want I suppose, but I've not done it. I've always associated stick shifts with light, tossable cars. Mercedes have always been vault-like and not rewarding in that capacity - bus so much more so in many others. It'd be an experience I'd like to try.

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK 320; 1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SL; 2006 SLK350; 2006 ML350
Scottsdale, AZ
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:56 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Most fat lazy American Mercedes buyers do not wish to have to shift their own car into gear or do anything else on the car. They want everything to be automatic. If you go to Europe, you can get just about any Merc with a stick.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Right, across the pond there is a much wider variety of stick shift Benz's although they come with mostly 4-bangers or smaller V6's. Plus I would whole heartedly agree about the lazy americans not wanting to shift, but then again I look at the almost cult following Porsche and BMW recieve with their stick shift cars and you can't tell me there's not the market for them!

I'm at the luxury of working as a Benz tech and recently been blessed with the opportunity of a w202 with a bad trans. I can get a 5 speed slk trans, and I have the resources available to swap it in there, albeit its going to cost me more in the long run than another auto trans but I just can't stand an auto trans after owning only stick shift cars.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 07:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livegood View Post
Plus I would whole heartedly agree about the lazy americans not wanting to shift.
If you are not so lazy, why don't you instal rotating pedals, chain and delete the engine?
I do have stick shift in my noisy superduty pickup, but in sedan I expect comfort and relax.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
...I do have stick shift in my noisy superduty pickup, but in sedan I expect comfort and relax.
Same here Kajtek1, but I think for those who like an SL, SLK or CLK they should be available in the U.S.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

But face it MM. 99.9 % od Americans can't learn to dirve on right side of the road. Can you imagine what will happen when they will have to obsere the clutch and gear shifting?
While talking on the phone and sipping coffe?
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
But thats the reason I like having a stick, you aren't distracted with the cell phone, coffee, mccy d's, smacking the kids in the backseat, etc. And being 100% born in America, I can honestly say yes, the vast majority of Americans are lazy and don't want to bother with a stick (the vast majority probably don't even know how to drive a stick). I'm just curious of those CLK/SL/SLR/E class drivers out there, especially those boasting an AMG package- doesn't it feel a bit 'incomplete' without the sportiness and fun of a stick shift?
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I grew up in Europe and had my share of averaging 110 mph on autobahns, but performance driving is whole culture that takes a generation to learn.
Even when I drive 100 mph on US roads, very often I have situations when semi truck cuts me off, because he is going to pass another semi 1/4 mile away.
While I have about 1/5 of the second to make decision about passing him on the right with 10 ' to spare from the bumper of the trailer on right lane, shifting the gear wouldn't be my priority.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
uhh say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
But face it MM. 99.9 % od Americans can't learn to dirve on right side of the road. Can you imagine what will happen when they will have to obsere the clutch and gear shifting?
While talking on the phone and sipping coffe?
I don't think this post makes any bit of sense and I hope plenty of silly juice was involved in the writing of said post. ....and this is America- we DO drive on the right side of the road. .. . get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in