How many out there would prefer 3 pedals? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:29 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livegood View Post
But thats the reason I like having a stick, you aren't distracted with the cell phone, coffee, mccy d's, smacking the kids in the backseat, etc. And being 100% born in America, I can honestly say yes, the vast majority of Americans are lazy and don't want to bother with a stick (the vast majority probably don't even know how to drive a stick). I'm just curious of those CLK/SL/SLR/E class drivers out there, especially those boasting an AMG package- doesn't it feel a bit 'incomplete' without the sportiness and fun of a stick shift?
Most younger American's cannot drive a stick. You do have the paddle shift option on the SLR and SL. Those are actually quite quick to shift. I just drove a newer SL last week and the grear change time on the wheel was great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livegood View Post
....and this is America- we DO drive on the right side of the road. .. . get it?
Want some picture from desert freeways in CA and NV?
From what I remember in VA the cars have been on all lanes. Just not moving very fast
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
This is true Kajtek1...

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
(Thread Starter)
ha. Autos are nice in traffic as you made your point, truck drivers live on the road, therefore they like to drive like they "own" it, and the beef I have with paddle shifters is essentially its like the kid in high school we all knew and laughed at because he had an automatic and drove it like a stick "shifting" from lo-2-3-D. ha Plus, try paddling during a turn, not going to happen because you shift the position of your hands relative to the wheel- Paddles were made for F1 cars and it only works for them because their steering ratios are so extreme if they move the wheel a matter of inches their wheels are steering darn near 60 degrees-so anyways-their paddles are always at their fingertips.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
..and here's what I figure would happen using paddle shift with the lady in the car
You paddle shift
She says "what are you doing?"
You say "I'm shifting"
She says "but its an automatic"
You say "yeah I know but if I hit this paddle it shifts"
She says "thats dumb honey, I hope you didn't pay extra for that"
Thats when you realize that now you are the guy we once laughed at for shifting an automatic trans.

To me, paddles were fun the first time I tried it, then I realized the downshifts will give you whiplash as they're merely a rude engine brake, and the shifting never really comes when you want it, and you don't feel it, so you don't really feel like you're doing anything at all.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 10:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, you can get come of the cars you mention with a manual transmission--if it's equipped with one of the bottom-of-the-line 4-cyl engines. That pretty much leaves out the USA, of course. It may be of interest to know that the larger V6, all the V8s, and the V12s are none of them fitted with manual transmissions in any market.

I don't miss manual transmissions a bit, and in the few times when manual shifting is useful--as opposed to an ego trip--the pushbuttons or slap-shifting works just fine.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 11:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Manual operation of an automatic tranny never allows the same control of the car as a real manual tranny does, although it helps a bit in some cases. I could see it useful to have a manual option available for some of the sporty models but it must be the very limited market that prevents MB seeing it commercially attractive.

Automatic transmission is gaining share a lot in Europe too, although still not the same as in the US. There is the 280 CDI (211.020, 642.920 engine) model with a manual transmission but I don't remember if it has been sold in Europe.

The manual transmission options MB has are not designed for high torque engines. MB would have to build a new one if it had to fit an SL and the market is simply too small.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 12:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Than DB what transmissions have those MB and VW with massive V8 and V10 diesels?
I know the torque of those engines is electronically controlled to not tear the car apart, but aren't they having manuals?
Than manuals can be fun when you have high power to weigh ratio. In my 5-ton pickup it takes 4 gear changes before I roll 25 mph.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Than DB what transmissions have those MB and VW with massive V8 and V10 diesels?
I know the torque of those engines is electronically controlled to not tear the car apart, but aren't they having manuals?
Than manuals can be fun when you have high power to weigh ratio. In my 5-ton pickup it takes 4 gear changes before I roll 25 mph.
I don't know about VW, their market is different and it could even be economical for them to produce a high torque capable tranny. I also believe the VW V10 doesn't have a lot more torque than the V8 MB engine.

I believe MB too limits engine torque in some cases for the first gear which is most critical for the tranny design (for torque capability) but this defeats a lot of the gain from a high torque engine. Also on a manual transmission it is difficult to protect the tranny from user misuse, you can first rev the engine to full rpm and then suddenly lift the clutch which isn't possible with an auto-tranny. Perhaps VW leaves this for the user to take care of while MB would consider it their responsibility.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I see no concerns MB would have with user misuse. If you're dumb enough to dump the clutch- you're going to have to buy a new clutch (and hope nothing else breaks), but that's true for a powerful benz all the way down to a little Civic.

As for the MB manual transmission not being able to withstand the torque, I'm not sure about that. I know the clutch is the weak point, and its only built for the smaller engine benz's with ~200hp/200tq. However with a stronger clutch/pressure plate it would be hard for me to believe the internals of the trans are weak or wouldn't withstand our typical V8 that produces ~350hp/350tq. Again I'm not sure what they make our gears/shafts out of be it forged steel or what but I'm sure it would hold up. AMG 55/65/63 engines would definitely put a beating on any trans though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in