LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '08 S500 w/ AMG Sport Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question V6 3.5 L Gasoline engine - Coarse and rough at high rpm?

I read on more than one occasion that the Benz's V6 3.5 engine, also named M272 and used on models with 350 suffix, does not produce particularly pleasant sound at a high rpm range. Plus it also said it's not the smoothest and most refined V6 engine, the reason being that V6 engines prefer 60' vee angle, but the Benz's 3.5 has engine blocks with a 90° vee angle.

Is this true? Do you experience anything similar?

I ask this because I'm interested in an upcoming GLK 350, but if the above holds true, then I'll have to look elsewhere, such as Q5, which happens to have an award winning 2.0 Turbo engine.

Unbiased answer much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoque View Post
I read on more than one occasion that the Benz's V6 3.5 engine, also named M272 and used on models with 350 suffix, does not produce particularly pleasant sound at a high rpm range. Plus it also said it's not the smoothest and most refined V6 engine, the reason being that V6 engines prefer 60' vee angle, but the Benz's 3.5 has engine blocks with a 90° vee angle.

Is this true? Do you experience anything similar?

I ask this because I'm interested in an upcoming GLK 350, but if the above holds true, then I'll have to look elsewhere, such as Q5, which happens to have an award winning 2.0 Turbo engine.

Unbiased answer much appreciated!

Not true, because Mercedes uses a single balance shaft to cancel primarily the vibrations that result from the configuration mentioned. The Mercedes 3.5L is smoother than an Infiniti large V6 or any 4 banger.

IMHO, a flat 6 Porsche engine is smoother and sweeter than any V6 that I've driven.

Good question, because I'm picky about things like that too. And that's why I refuse to own anymore 4 cylinder cars.

SIMPLE ANSWER - No the 3.5L V6 is not coarse and rough at high rpm's.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan

Last edited by MB-SV; 08-22-2008 at 03:48 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:04 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are quite correct about 60 degree V engines. A balance shaft will MASK the unbalanced operation of the odd firing angle but it will never eliminate it or its long term wear effects. That and the simple fact that nothing comes for free (the balance shaft will use between 3~6 hp in operation) and you see that a V6 will never surpass an inline 6 of similar size and tune.
You need to drive an older E300 or any BMW with an inline six to see what I am talking about. Just go do it now, and then consider all the advice given here later after you have a some real experence to consider what you see here.

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 10:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Rough" is not used in conjunction with Mercedes these days, although it certainly was in the '70s-'80s before it finally caught up with BMW and made something besides truck engines.

For all the reasons there are no longer straight-8s, the straight 6 is basically an anachronism these, days, only really BMW retaining them for market differentiation purposes. They're certainly a hazard in front collisions in comparison. And, there's no such thing as an older Mercedes that's better than the newer ones.

But, no V6 is ever going to sound particularly cool out the exhaust pipes.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI

Last edited by lkchris; 08-23-2008 at 10:32 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Unlikely that the wear associated with 60degree V6 configuration is significant. More like the hope of longer engine life by changing synthetic oil every 5K miles instead of 10K or 13K miles as recommended by MB.

Look at all the poorly balanced 4-cylinder Japanese engines running 150K+ miles.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in