LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Probably not your usual New member from SoCal

I got hooked on 'the Benz' in 2000. Up until then I had always purchased the most practical, economical automobile that could fit our budget. And up until then our budget had always had restraints that precluded a Benz. In 2000 we were finally in the position to purchase a very comfortable automobile. I had always been dreaming about owning a BMW so I went looking at those. My wife quietly suggested taking a look at a Mercedes. Being the stubborn male that I am I continued to look at BMWs. Again, my wife quietly suggested 'the Benz'. On the third suggestion from my wife I went to a Mercedes dealer. On that particular day they were doing construction at the dealer with full blown jackhammers pounding away. I told the salesman what I was looking for and he pointed me to a sedan outside of the showroom where the construction was taking place. I got in, shut the door and..............everything...........was......... ...quiet. I looked outside and the jackhammers were still pounding away. That was it. To hell with bimmers, I found my oasis. Again proving my wife has great taste.

That E class sedan was the best vehicle I had every owned or driven. But alas, all good things have to come to an end and the economic bubble burst of 2001 sent me back to the land of 'other vehicles'. In 2003 we sadly said goodbye to our dear friend.

So now, 5 years later I am again looking at 'the Benz' but from a different perspective. And this brings me to why I joined your forum. I have been very excited about the advancements made in the past year on battery technology and the potential of converting an ICE vehicle to an electric vehicle. Anybody see 'Who killed the Electric Car?'?

I have been gathering a multitude of information on electric motors, controllers, chargers, inverters, batteries, battery monitoring systems, wiring diagrams and a combination of successful and unsuccessful conversions stories. The time has come to choose a vehicle to convert. Again, standing behind me is my wife and she asked in that quiet calm voice........'has anybody converted a Mercedes?'. By now I have learned when it comes to taste, automobiles, and choices my wife has a profound insight into the correct path. So I listened to her. I did my research on the web time and time again and could not find anybody else who had done that.

So I am going to do it. The first and most important is the vehicle weight. (And I must also include the wife's requirements to take advantage of that insight.) SLK240s weigh in at around 3000 lbs, C Class tips the scales at over 3300 lbs and E Class at somewhat over 3600 lbs. At least in those neighborhoods. Wifely input says 2 seats are not enough and I agree. My input: 300 pounds is 300 pounds and we should zero in on the C Class even though it would be cool to replace our missing Benz with a like model.

This brings me to this forum. I have had a lot of automotive mechanical experience. I have build three cars from the ground up (OK, so they were VWs, but I did it myself). I also own a 1998 Harley Davidson and do all the work on that myself too. So I think that I am mechanically able to perform this transition with a minimum of help from friends and a lot of help from folks on forums such as yours.

I need to learn about the C class. What years have what good and bad features. The things I do not care about (except for dimensions and how to remove) are engine, transmission, exhaust and gas tank.

So there you have my story. Sorry it was so long, but it is a true story.

If I have stumbled into the wrong forum or site, just let me know and maybe give me a pointer to the right one and I will be on my way. Otherwise 'hello all' and thanks for giving me the opportunity to join.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: