Leaking injectors - What else can go wrong with my Vito??? Fuel Leak! Dodgy MOT - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: Brabus V230 supercharged & Mercedes Vito 108 CDI (chipped to 125bhp)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Leaking injectors - What else can go wrong with my Vito??? Fuel Leak! Dodgy MOT

Hi members,

I have been reading this forum for some time now, but as I have just bought a 1999 Merceds Vito 108 CDI with ongoing problems, I finally decided to join to see if anyone could help me!!!?

Right, lets start at the begining....

Bought a 1999 Vito 108 CDI from a guy who owns his own car repair shop, apparently fixes TVR's, etc, etc...

He bought the van off a mate than ran an independent courier company, apparently servicing it every 6000 miles - no service history, but was told initailly it did before I travelled hundreds of miles to fetch it!

That aside, I was told it had a new spray job from white to silver and was rust free - he forgot to mention that he didnt spray it the best and that it had a few laquer runs here and there - not the end of the world. Opened the doors, oh! Not sprayed on the inside of the doors and there is rust on the bottom corners of the doors and a few bubbles forming on the bonnet. Ok, i'll look past this. Wanted a Vito for a long time and I traveled so far.

Has 375k on the clock, but as he said it was serviced every 6000 miles, I looked past and he was a mechanic, so I trusted him to not buy junk for himself and to do good work on it. Boy was I wrong!!!!

Got it home, seriously slow and lacked any power, started to regret my purchase, should have gone for 110 cdi! I bought a proper performance chip, the kind you have to solder onto the ECU motherboard. Did it myself as everyone I asked was to scared to! Worked like magic, got loads more power, more speed in each gear and more top end. Not amazing, but now acceptable. Was 87BHP - Now 120BHP

Couple of days later, got fuel leak in the engine. Engine bay smoking. Took it in. Found out that all the fuel hoses were completely perished. Replaced them and loads of missing bolts, at a cost of £278 incl labour (labour £200). Found out that the MOT he had just got on it a week before my purchase was dodgy as he knows the testing station - saw their cards on his desk.

CV joints worn and missing boots on both sides - explaines the crunching noise when I steer.

He said it just needed a bit of grease!

Steering rack bent / rear shocks coroded and crumble when touched / rear shocks leaking / 3 chips in windscreen all in wiper travel - 1 lines up with my forehead when driving -1cm diameter/ large crack to base of windscreen / rust on slam panel / cracked headlight

According to my garage this van would not have just passed a legal MOT. The MOT did have an advisory notice, which he did not give me - I asked what the advisory was, he said the windscreen...hmmmmm!

He had also said he had just done the injector seals - I have to date within 3 weeks of purchase had the van in 4 times for the injectors. 1st time 1 just blew right out - helicoiled and replaced damaged injector clamp as it was previosly damaged by him doing the seals. £230 later!

Replace fuel rail spill hose and Map sensor - £290

The other work for the cv's , shocks and steering rack is going to cost £388

A total of £1300 including new windscreen!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

My mech has told me VOSA will shut the testing station down if they found out, I spoke to hime when the bill was at £730 and we agreed on £600 from him for me to keep quiet. But the van has been in for 2 weeks since with all these issues.

I have been waiting for the cheque to clear before contacting him again, which it now has.

I want hime to pay for everything as he is as dodgy as hell and I cannot afford this.

Also since the helicoil, the same injector started blowing fuel again, not graet when I was doing a 300 mile trip the next day, I had to just limp all the way! Took it back and they said there was damage to the head wher they had just worked and applied some metal epoxy or something?? It has stopped the injector leak, I THINK? But not there is fuel dripping from next to the front passenger wheel!!!!

Any suggestions what it could be and whet do I do about this guy? Am I in the right to demand the total repair cost?

Thanks everybody!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: Brabus V230 supercharged & Mercedes Vito 108 CDI (chipped to 125bhp)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oh by the way, a month later still have not received the V5 logbook, which he said a few weeks ago he had sent off. The van was in his garages name before I bought it and I have an advert stating that ihas just had injectors done. If i cannot get the money off him for injectors, fuel leaks and other MOT failure points I think I need to contact VOSA - Vehicle authority / trading standards and small claims court. He did not even ask for proof the last time we spoke and he just sent a £600 cheque - admission of guilt?
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: