post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1998 C280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1998 C280

Got my new (to me) baby 2 weeks ago. She's a silver C280 with black leather, tortoise-shell trim, and, near as I can tell, everything but the heated seats... but that's okay, I'm in Alabama.

A little history for anyone who seeks boredom:

I've been driving junkers my whole life and I've never paid more $3500 for my daily driver (well, until now); I did own a 1984 300ZX Anniversary Edition for some time until I messed up... and messed the car up! I've owned (in order)
1985 Toyota Celica, $1900, Purchased: 1997, Deceased: 1998
1994 Dodge Spirit, $3500, Purchased: 1997, Deceased: 2002
1984 Nissan 300ZX $4500, Purchased: 2001, Deceased: 2003
1994 Chevy Blazer, $1, Purchased: 2002, Deceased: Sorta still okay, for sale!
1991 Geo Storm, $0.01, Purchased 2005, Deceased: 2004... yeah, no typo
1994 Subaru Legacy, $1 Purchased: 2008, Water Pump Out, still runs
1998 Mercedes-Benz C280, $7500, 88kmiles, Purchased: 2008
...and my GF hit it in the driveway YESTERDAY MORNING for an estimated $850 in paint and dent repair to the driver rear bumper!!!

The $1 and less cars were family members, the Subaru I technically do not own, my GF's dad is still tracking down the title. I was told I could have it if I got it running. I put a new battery in, and fixed the door-light switch so it would drain into low-low-volt land and die. I drove it from St. Louis to Auburn (about 12 hours) with NO problems. I go to drive it to work one day and it almost overheats before I get there. I suspect the water pump: at highway speeds it stays cool, sitting in the driveway at no-speed and high-RPM it stays cool; let off the gas and it heats right up.

My Blazer was the reason I needed a new car. She's been dying for two years now and I've been hunting, waiting for the right shot. I saw a grand deal in this Benz. I got it from a used dealer. I got the previous owner's name and phone number... he lives in my neighborhood. Got all the skinny and its history, even got his old mechanic to fax me over the old files on it. She had 88k miles when I picked her up and in IMMACULATE condition. I even got the dealer to pay $800 to get the brakes replaced and the transmission cooling lines... THEN I paid my $7500. She booked for enough more that I was able to get some work done on my house for the loan value!!! It was worth waiting the two years!!!

I love this car, it's the nicest thing I've ever owned. Driving junkers has really paid off.

Hopefully I'll get a new one a few more years down the road. I'm in love with Benzes now!

Since I got her I found a small leak in the trunk, and only on the driver's side, and water is only pooling in that little cubby just under the taillights, just in front of it. Don't know the source of the leak though. The trunk seals look fine. Tonight I had to re-align my head lamps... my GF complained about them when driving in front of me the other night. Turns out the last 'tard that replaced the driver's head lamp put the metal spring-clip on upside down... it never held the bulb in place. It's been bouncing all over the place... so it's probably not going to last long. I've also had to tighten the bolts on all four doors, on the door-side where the guide slides into the door, the rear driver was insanely loose, the rest just slightly. Oh, and my cup-holder is friggin' missing. And I could swear it was in there when I test drove it. I remember thinking how cool it was that it slowly sprung up like that. They detailed it one last time after the work was done on it... must have broken it and decided to toss it thinking I wouldn't know. But for the deal, I'm not going to complain about it. I also need to replace the passenger front fog. Other than that she's GREAT.

Sorry so long. Came back to work to work late and adjust my lights in our high-bay while running some lab tests. Each iteration is 30 minutes so I'm stuck with nothing to do while I wait results.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: