Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Question How often to use Techron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloff View Post
Suggest you do some checking on this. Yes, Mercedes approves it, but I'm not so sure it is recommended, needed or advisable to use it so often. There is also a school of thought that you should change your oil after the first tank of fuel with Techron in it is used up, since there is the slight possibility that it can leak through and thin out your oil. I'm not so much a gasoline guy, so I'm not sure. In my cars I use it at most every 15,000 miles and do an oil change right afterwards. Len
I did some checking on this issue. I sent a sample of 9000 mile Mercedes motor oil to Blackstone and they found no trace of any fuel additives (I mentioned that I used Techron on the order slip so they would be aware of that). Since you mentioned it, I might increase the MB interval to the last tank of fuel before the FSS tells me to change the oil. I wonder what MBUSA would have to say?

In the cars that are on a 3000 oil change interval I do exactly what you are suggesting. My rationale for that is due to any particulate matter that might be dislodged from the valves, pistons and injectors that would end up in the oil. As you know, Techron claims to be a "fuel system cleaner" so it's presumably going after more than just injector build-up.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-SV View Post
My methodology is always use Chevron gas (which is not cheap). I never use fuel additives. And I've never esperienced clogged injectors, so I'm happy. But that's just my personal preference/practice, nothing more.
Same here with Chevron MB-SV, but at best I have fuel available for 10 cents less per gallon. Most of it contains 10% ethanol and I'm opposed to using that unless/until it's all that is available. On rare occasion, I'l use another of the Top Tier gasolines (I prefer Shell) if no Chevron/Texaco stations are around.

I have never had clogged injectors either, but is that because I use the additives? Probably not, but like I said I'm a neurotic of the OCD variety.

Parenthetically, I asked a guy at AutoZone about this fuel additive concept. He said he always uses "premium" fuel (aka brand name) and changes his fuel filter regularly. I see nothing fundamentally wrong with yours or his preference.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in