post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Member 300TD with 280TE drivetrain

Hello Folks,

I'm new here but an old MB owner. I used to have a lime green 1979 280te with very low miles. Bought it with 24K miles and put another 12K after some 5-6 years of ownership. Since I have a bunch of cars, I occasionally took some off the road and stored for a year at a time. On one fateful day in 1998, I pulled the car out of storage and failed to notify my insurance agent. Who would have thought anything could happen at near midnight on a quiet Sunday. The weather was perfect and it was only 2 miles from home.

Shortly after leaving the storage facility, a was rammed into a couple of 360° spins by a drunk driver. I was car #7 to hit out of the 8 he/she destroyed while being chased by two different police departments. The errant vehicle was only running on bare rims (sans tires) ar this point. To say it was surreal would be an understatement. Even more bizarre is the fact that the San Francisco PD & Daly City cars chasing this person manage to let him getaway. The perp's car was found 3 blocks away from where my bumper landed (nearly a half block from point of impact) in front of the registered owner's house. Said registered owner had prior convictions for felony hit & run while under the influence. Because the cops did not find the guy inside the car, they did not press any charges. You see both PD units had interviewd the sole witness who cold identify the bad guy but neither toook any contact info form the witness. Teh excuse was they thought the other PD got the info and vise versa.

To make a long story slightly shorter, I got stuck getting the car fixed. At a week moment, I found a dark green 1979 300TD with a bad engine and took it and the remains of my car to a friendly local shop. I told them I want everything in the 280te transplanted into the 300td body. More shortcutting -got car back after 7 years. It was as much their fault as mine. I basically lost track of the car for 7 years. The lost my contact info as well. The car and I were reunited last year. Now I regret yanking all the 300td stuff out. I don't have a 280te and do not even have a good 300td.

I'm undecided what do to now. It's been sitting in the garage for a year again waiting for me to take action. It's in ok but now great shape. Needs paintwork and some dash work. It starts runs and drives though the hyrdro suspension is nto hooked up to the pump.

Anyway, I got intro'd into this forum when I Goggles 190 Zender Body kit. You see I got this front airdam bumper for the 190 with the intent of putting it on the 280te. This was some 12-13 years ago. It was a cool idea back then. Honest. Now I will be unloading it.

Sorry for the long intro. Now I hope you know a little something, something about my car.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: