Is it true? Is Staggered NO GOOD for 4matics? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 2001 E 430 4maic
Location: Cooper City FL
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is it true? Is Staggered NO GOOD for 4matics?

Hey guys,

I ended up getting an 01 E 430 4matic.

Got a lot of grief from my buddy the MB mechanic...

Anyway my question for the Guru's today is:

I would like to upgrade my current 17" Stock Wheels.

My buddy the Mechanic has told me to stay away from Staggered Wheels because of the 4matic. He says all 4 wheels must be the same size. I really want the rear wheels to have that deep dish effect with the nice thick polished Lip...but he says NO!

I hate NO!

Anyway he also says stay away from 19" and above...the car will begin to give misreading...what ever that means...DARN HIM!

He also says getting stock E-Class wheels from the 03 generation and up will be a challenge to find the right lugs to work.

I am very fustrated cause that really limits my choices and yet I see a lot of Mercedes with aftermarket wheels, but the truth is I dont want to sacrifice comfort for looks.

Any suggestions?
Rafael Leon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
MB-SV's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2007
Location: overlooking Silicon Valley
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
fyi - It looks like the European specs for the new GLK with 4wd will have staggered wheels. Take a look at the GLK section of Benzworld forum.

Also the owners of new C-class Sport models with 4wd in Canada are reporting that their cars came equipped from the factory with staggered wheels.

S.


2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
MB-SV is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Diesel Benz's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Location: Europe
Posts: 10,322
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
The Euro GLK models seem to have equal sized wheels standard but there is at least a sports packet with staggered wheels. The same seems to apply for the C-class, standard wheels are equal sized on 4-Matics but staggered are an option and at least I cannot find any restrictions where 4-Matics were excluded.

I'm not sure what you actually mean by staggered wheels because those for the GLK and the C-class are equal by diameter even if the tyre width is different for the rear from the front.

I don't see why it would make any difference for the 4-Matic if the tyre width would be different as long as the wider tyre would have lower profile that compensates the hight, making the rolling radius equal for both tyres.

There are options where the tyre diameter would be larger at the rear, perhaps this is what you considered and this would not be acceptable for a 4-Matic (as long as it has been designed for equal tyres).
Diesel Benz is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Check Codes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Location: John 15:18-19
Posts: 31,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Leon View Post
Hey guys,

I ended up getting an 01 E 430 4matic.

Got a lot of grief from my buddy the MB mechanic...

Anyway my question for the Guru's today is:

I would like to upgrade my current 17" Stock Wheels.

My buddy the Mechanic has told me to stay away from Staggered Wheels because of the 4matic. He says all 4 wheels must be the same size. I really want the rear wheels to have that deep dish effect with the nice thick polished Lip...but he says NO!

I hate NO!

Anyway he also says stay away from 19" and above...the car will begin to give misreading...what ever that means...DARN HIM!

He also says getting stock E-Class wheels from the 03 generation and up will be a challenge to find the right lugs to work.

I am very fustrated cause that really limits my choices and yet I see a lot of Mercedes with aftermarket wheels, but the truth is I dont want to sacrifice comfort for looks.

Any suggestions?
Hi, Rafael and welcome to the forum. Please update your profile with vehicle and location information as that is quite useful. And scroll down to the W210 forum and join us, it's a whole forum dedicated to your car.

Staggered wheels are not verboten on the 4matic, however it is important to work with a trusted supplier to ensure that the OD of the tires remains virtually identical or you'll have problems. 19s are quite large for the W210 chassis and it will greatly degrade the ride quality, 18s are about the most reasonable limit overall. (reyna7 just put 19s on his 210, again, check it out in the W210 forum: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. (Winston Churchill)
Check Codes is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Musikmann's Avatar
 
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 17,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
+1 with the other posts. If the outer circumference front/back is the same you should be O.K. The only downside I can envision is you cannot rotate them.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Musikmann is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
MB-SV's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2007
Location: overlooking Silicon Valley
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
T

I'm not sure what you actually mean by staggered wheels because those for the GLK and the C-class are equal by diameter even if the tyre width is different for the rear from the front.

I don't see why it would make any difference for the 4-Matic if the tyre width would be different as long as the wider tyre would have lower profile that compensates the hight, making the rolling radius equal for both tyres.
1. "Staggered" term commonly used by MB owners only applies to wheel width.
2. Agreed maintaining same rolling diameter front to rear should work.

S.


2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
MB-SV is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 2001 E 430 4maic
Location: Cooper City FL
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you all for your reply's

Just to make sure...when Greg say's "however it is important to work with a trusted supplier to ensure that the OD of the tires remains virtually identical"

He means Overall Diameter?
Rafael Leon is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:01 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2000 E430 4Matic
Location: NY
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, overall diameter.

Welcome to the forums and all that jazz, but I have to ask why you got a M-B? If you wanted a pimp-mobile, with 19 or 20" rims and zero ride quality, why didn't you get a Caddy or a 300C ?

Also, why did you get grief from your mechanic?
jh225 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
MB-SV's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2007
Location: overlooking Silicon Valley
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Leon View Post
Thank you all for your reply's

Just to make sure...when Greg say's "however it is important to work with a trusted supplier to ensure that the OD of the tires remains virtually identical"

He means Overall Diameter?
Yes, you can find on-line tire calculators that estimate overall diameter for you.

For example you input tire size: 255/50/19, and the calculator will tell you the diameter (inches) is 29.039

S.


2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
MB-SV is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
asianml's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 11,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
Yes, overall diameter.

Welcome to the forums and all that jazz, but I have to ask why you got a M-B? If you wanted a pimp-mobile, with 19 or 20" rims and zero ride quality, why didn't you get a Caddy or a 300C ?

Also, why did you get grief from your mechanic?
LOL 19" and 20" wheels are far from being pimp-tastic.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

asianml is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Is it true they don't make lowering srpings for the 4Matics??? NJBNZ W203 C-Class 2 04-12-2007 12:45 PM
    Maybe Too Good To Be True Ruffrob W211 E55 AMG, E63 AMG 5 07-21-2005 10:38 AM
    Too good to be true? bocobod W163 M-Class 0 04-23-2005 10:52 PM
    To good to be true? MB_Racer R170 SLK-Class 7 09-24-2001 12:57 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome