BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2000 C180 T model
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Suare Eyes C180 - An introduction.

Hi All,
I'm new to Mercedes and indeed the concept of Forums (fora?) as a means of communication, so please bear with me.

I've been driving Japanese cars for all of my motoring life, with the exception of a dire experience with Volkswagen in the 1980’s, and have found them to be cheap, reliable, economic and sometimes fast, very fast. Needless to say, I was quite happy to stick to Japanese cars until, to my horror, my son turned twelve last December, gained three shoe sizes overnight and put on a spurt of growth that necessitated me moving my driving seat forward until my nose was becoming flattened from pressing against the windscreen.

That was it. In order to keep my youthful good looks, a bigger car was needed and, after much searching, last May I finally settled on a 2000 C180 T Model with 75000 miles on the clock. Oh! The vast cavernous space was bliss – room for the family, the dog and a load of gear. Enough power to keep a man of my years happy – I’ve given up on the “mid-life crisis” sports cars until I can afford an SL - and of course the added prestige of the three pointed star on the bonnet (“hood” for all you readers across the big pond).

Life was good for about a fortnight (you’ll have to look that one up yourselves), I pootled about taking it easy and getting used to my new pride and joy. Then one day on a trip to the local beach (in Ireland – think “rain and wind” not “bikinis and margaritas”) I found myself behind a slow moving campervan on a long straight stretch of road. Being used to automatic transmissions, I put my foot down and felt the increase in revs as the transmission “kicked down” into a lower gear. I moved out to overtake and as the revs approached 4000 I was alongside the map reading campervan driver with another car approaching on the distant horizon. A couple of seconds later with the revs stuck at 4500, the loud noise of a high revving engine drowning out the music on the CD player, my good lady in the passenger seat giving me a “what are YOU doing” look (never good, trust me) and the car on the horizon getting perceptibly larger; I was alongside a map folding and slightly panic-stricken campervan driver with beads of perspiration forming on my puzzled and disconcerted brow. To add to the discomfort I felt, the car was shaking violently making me think briefly that this machine actually did come equipped with the massaging seats that I’ve read about on higher end models.

Feeling that discretion is the better part of valour I applied the brakes with some force and managed to pull back in behind the weaving campervan as a wildly gesticulating, flashing and honking driver went by in the opposite direction. I pulled in to the side of the road feeling somewhat shaken. A few minutes later I realized that I shouldn’t feel quite so shaken and that the car was continuing to judder as if the engine was not firing on all cylinders. I switched off the ignition and endured a few minutes of incisive questioning. Once the interrogation was over, I restarted the car and proceeded gingerly and without incident to be sandblasted at the beach.

So to the nub of the problem, I don’t want to be the driver that gives drivers of this prestigious marque a bad name around my locality. I’ve read through the treads on this site and have come to the opinion that Mass Air Flow Sensor may be the root cause of my mechanical problem, embarrassment and the possible end of my relationship. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this issue and indeed any relationship advice, and will reward anyone kind enough to ease my bewilderment with a much less verbose reply.

Thanks in advance,

Square Eyes C180
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2000 C180 T model
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yep, it was the MAF!

Problem almost fixed! It took 5 minutes with a Torx bit to replace the MAF. Cost €150 at local motor factors. Not the genuine Mercedes / Bosch part, but seems to do the job perfectly. The car is now accelerating and changing gear more smoothly. When the engine is ticking over the revs are inclined to fluctuate slightly particularly when cold. I'm told this may be a result of running the car with a dodgy MAF - the plugs can get fouled apparently. I plan to give the car a full service including transmission fluid with in the next week or so. I'll keep you all informed. Any comments welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in