Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How to re-install keyless go gear shift knob?

14K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  badouit 
#1 ·
Me newbie just bought a 2005 CLK with Keyless Go, after having read lots of positive comments about this car. Since searching this and other Benz fora didn't help, here comes my story.

Help please! :bowdown:

The gear shift knob with the start/stop button had been removed from the car during shipping.

I figured out how to mechanically mount the knob, but the start/stop button now does not work at all.

I know it worked fine before the shipping! There must be something I am missing here. I can unlock the car in a keyless manner, the key also is detected inside the car, but the button is dead. No ignition, no keyless starting while braking. The engine can be started using the key, but this is not what I want.

Does anybody have a clue how to solve my problem? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Thanks Streetglower for trying to help!

What it says? Nada. There is no reaction at all, as if the button hadn't been touched. Let me give you the following additional info:

When I have the key inside the car, let's say in my pocket, and slide the shift knob onto the lever:

- foot off the brake, the ignition comes on, the "P" for parking is lit, but after that the button does not have any further effect, no matter how often I press it.

- foot on the brake, the engine starts when I slide on the knob, but after that the button does not turn off the engine, it does not do anything anymore.

I tried the same with the key outside the car, I then got the info "key not found" in the display when sliding on the shift knob. Probably the main battery has been disconnected during shipping, with the shift knob removed. However, I have tried already to disconnect the battery, slide on the shift knob, re-connect the battery hoping for an initialization of some kind, but to no avail.

There must be some trick I am not aware of - kind of frustrating, but nothing more really. As much as I appreciate your help, please don't waste your precious time on this problem unless you can quickly find the solution, I wouldn't like to steal your quality time!

#4 ·
Short update: Somewhere I read that for resetting the vehicle's electronic system one would have to disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes, not only seconds as I had done before.

So I disconnected the main battery of my W209 for 5 minutes, reconnected it hoping the keyless go start button would work - but the only change I achieved was that the keyless entry stopped working as well (in some thread related to this new problem it is said that using the key for some time in the ignition re-enabled keyless entry - will see).

Is there anybody out there who has insight into the functioning of the keyless systems? Do these units really fail so often as it appears, or are they just used by MB dealers to make a quick buck because hardly anyone understands how the different components work and a 'repair' is easy money?

#5 ·
Do these units really fail so often as it appears, or are they just used by MB dealers to make a quick buck because hardly anyone understands how the different components work and a 'repair' is easy money?
You mean do the shift knobs get removed often during shipping? I'm interpreting this being your only issue. If you reinstalled an new shift knob, I'm guessing your wiring was affected when the knob was removed and you would have to fix that. Have you measured if the wiring is OK?

Your user manual would probably tell how to make your KG system operational again after power loss.

#9 ·
The solution, at last:

1. The start/stop button of the keyless go system did not work. SDS stated "switch is stuck" or something like that. Dealer said he would have to order a new shift knob.

Knowing the problem was in the shift knob, I went home and disassembled the knob to get to the contacts of the start/stop button. The two contacts wires were twisted around each other, which one could not without taking the shift knob apart, and produced a short circuit. I do not have any idea how this happened. After removing the short circuit the start/stop button works flawlessly again. So, apparently no special procedure has to be followed when re-attaching a keyless go shift knob to the car again.

2. Keyless entry worked again after the keys had been assigned to the locking system of the car again with the SDS (keyless entry had stopped working after disconnecting the main battery for 30 minutes).

Thanks for helping!

#10 ·
Hi guys ,

I just bought a CLK 320 2004 , it didnt come with a keyless go system , I would like to know if it is possible to buy a new shift knob with Engine start bottom and just change it . Will it work , or i would have missing wires ass the car is not originally made with keyless go system .

Thanks alot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.