BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1984 300sd turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
service manuals

Hi all
I have been looking for a service manual. I did get one off of ebay that was supposed to be a factory manual but it turned out to be a Mitchell's manual. I doubt that Mercedes dealerships use Mitchell manuals. SO I have been looking on the web and found this site:
Mercedes Benz Manual - Mercedes Repair Manuals - Mercedes-Benz Service Manuels

These are supposed to be dealer service manuals. Has anybody bought from them and are they good manuals?

TIA

And I did use the search function but got 500 hits and of those I looked at they were just using the term manual and service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
This source of workshop manuals has been discussed before. The web page claims these being "real" but I haven't seen anybody ordering and confirming this. To me it looks like it cannot be both legal and genuine.

But I assume "North West" to you means Northern West coast of the US, then you should be able to get the genuine copy from MBUSA for your car and at a very reasonable cost:
STAR TekInfo

Edited: this mercedesmanuals.com isn't the one that was claiming selling the same WIS as workshops use, but at a lot lower price than workshops get it from MB. This one looks real.

Last edited by Diesel Benz; 06-14-2008 at 12:15 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
This source of workshop manuals has been discussed before. The web page claims these being "real" but I haven't seen anybody ordering and confirming this. To me it looks like it cannot be both legal and genuine.

But I assume "North West" to you means Northern West coast of the US, then you should be able to get the genuine copy from MBUSA for your car and at a very reasonable cost:
STAR TekInfo
This site is buying a pig in a poke. They want my money, and lot of it at that, without giving me any indication if they have what I want. I really don't care if they have what I want, at this point, I would never use or condone this type of business practice. If a store has a product then you should be able to determine if that product will suit your needs before you are required to pay money. These guys think they are so great they want you to pay money just to shop at their store. They can forget it. I'm going to buy the manuals I first posted about.

After i get the manuals I will report back as to how good I think they are.

Last edited by ArkRoyal; 06-13-2008 at 03:38 PM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '87 560 SL, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Premium Member
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncor View Post
Thanks I checked them out. I already ordered the manual from the first site so I will see what it's like before I order another.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: 1992 300CE Sportline
MB Service Library Index

If anyone ends up with a MB Service Library CD-rom, you may want to download one of my Indexes. The Index makes navigating the material on the CDs *much* easier and faster, even allows finding some info on the CDs that you can't normally find.

Indexes are available for all of the following MB CD-roms:
The Early Years Vol 1-4, R107, W114, W115, W116, W123, W124, W126 and W201.

My Indexes are free and you can download them here: Mercedes Pages

Seattle
1979 240D - gone but not forgotten
1990 300E - still in the family
1992 300CE Sportline

http://web.mac.com/dakota/Mercedes/Home.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 12:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota View Post
If anyone ends up with a MB Service Library CD-rom, you may want to download one of my Indexes. The Index makes navigating the material on the CDs *much* easier and faster, even allows finding some info on the CDs that you can't normally find.

Indexes are available for all of the following MB CD-roms:
The Early Years Vol 1-4, R107, W114, W115, W116, W123, W124, W126 and W201.

My Indexes are free and you can download them here: Mercedes Pages

This was interesting. I've never really figured out how these MB CD-roms that you can buy from MBUSA are built. There was a thread some time ago where several users complained how slow it is when accessing documents. I assumed these being like the workshop information system but with access limited to one particular car model only but after all the approach seem completely different. While WIS works fine even on an old and slow computer, these service CDs may really be slow.

Looks like you did not have this done for later car models which probably were the case previously but anyway excellent for those who have the cars and the service CDs for those models your index files support.

A bit off topic but you probably would be able to explain a bit more about the US service CD approach, compared to the dealers' WIS.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 06:00 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: 1992 300CE Sportline
MB Service Library Index

The MB-USA Service Library series of CDs, previously listed, were a compilation of each model's various service manuals, for the models that were available in North America, eg, the chassis manual, the engine manuals, the A/C manuals, etc. They just took the shop paper manuals and photocopied each page and converted them to PDF files. Then they farmed out the building of each model's Service Library CD-rom to a computer company. This company built an index system based on Flash technology, that tried to tie all of a particular model's manuals together on one or two CD-roms.

The CDs were/are problematic in several respects. They were extremely slow when you tried to navigate around on them. To speed them up, you could copy them to your hard drive, but they still didn't work very well, as they (the Flash aspect) weren't especially designed correctly to operate this way. If it was a 2-CD set, sometimes some manuals were on one CD and other manuals were on another, and the two CDs had no way of transferring or linking over to the other.

Often, the Flash didn't link correctly at all. For instance, if you had a W126 350SDL and it had an ASD rear differential, the CD software did not allow you to link to the ASD tasks. Even when you could get to the correct jobs, the system they used made it quite cumbersome to find things.

Also, some of the jobs have updates or technical bulletins, and while these were on the CDs, they were difficult, if not impossible, to find.

Another problem of some of the CDs was that they expected a certain version of Adobe Acrobat/Reader installed on your computer (as well as the Adobe Flash program). If you had a later version, it didn't work. Some of them insisted you install version 3 of Reader before it would proceed. You can imagine how well that would work when we are at version 8 today.

Many of the CDs would only work on certain versions of Windows. Trying to run them on Vista or even XP wouldn't work. None of them worked properly on the Mac OS or OS X, or Unix systems, or Linux systems. (This is also a problem with WIS and with EPCnet - a serious shortcoming in my view.)

So I created my Indexes. I started with the W124 and the W123, because they were the CDs (and cars) that I owned. I created indexes that were completely HTML based. No Flash involved. I had several folks help me with the tedious task of typing the job names out of each job file (usually the file name was just the job number or even just a sequential number). I created simple HTML pages that grouped and linked the jobs together. It was a lot of coding - I probably have several thousand hours into this project - and I am no coding wizard, that's for sure.

Being HTML, they will work on any OS platform, using the browser of *your* choice and operating system of *your* choice - Windows (any version), Mac OS, Mac OS X, Unix and Linux. If your computer can run a simple HTML browser and read a PDF file, you can use my Index. You copy all of the CD files onto your hard drive, and away you go. No linking problems, much higher access speeds, and you can quickly find what ever you are looking for.

And I've constantly updated some of the Indexes thru the years. For instance, the W126 and W124 Indexes have the related Maintenance tasks listed on the same page as the Service tasks, ie, on the Group 20 Cooling System page, in addition to the Group 20 service jobs, you'll also find the cooling system maintenance jobs, plus maybe some service bulletins and information articles.

Hope this helps explain the history and purpose of my Indexes. I'll be glad to answer any questions anyone has or help with installation (there is a instruction ReadMe file with each download).

I apologize for hijacking this thread.

Steve

Seattle
1979 240D - gone but not forgotten
1990 300E - still in the family
1992 300CE Sportline

http://web.mac.com/dakota/Mercedes/Home.html
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:03 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 1998 E320 Wagon
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I purchased the W210 Service Manual Library from 1-800-FOR-MERC when I got my wagon last Oct. It was $149 +tax and shipping. I installed it on an old IBM Notebook running Windows2000Pro w/ SP4. It works fine and is full of accurate factory information on all models of the W210 chassis. The media is now a single DVD not CD. I find it easy to navigate if you are used to Windows programs. The speed is fine if you understand that you are accessing the information off the DVD and not a hard disk. Searches take a few seconds but that's normal.

The information is the same that is provided to a MB mechanic at a dealership so it assumes you have some understanding/experience in auto mechanics. All operations described include warnings, need for special tools and torque values.

It includes parts diagrams and wiring diagrams. There's a section on TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) and recall notices. It even has all the relevant owners manuals. It also has a section with video clips on certain operations like disassembling the dash or center console.

All in all I've been very happy and would recommend it to an experienced DIY'er.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in