BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 95 C220 | 03 TT 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
oil changes?

i'm just wondering..
let's say you just changed the oil today, and you drive it for a bit. and come back driving after 3-4 months, is it generally required to change the oil once again?

for me, i tend to change oil once i come back home. (i study overseas)
but i just realized today that i've only been driving around 1000km the last time i changed the oil 5 months ago.

1995 W202 C220 | 50,xxxkm | From Burgundy Red, to 650 Calcite White | H&R Cup Kit | 18" 8.5 & 9.5 Work Varianza T1S, 18" 8.5 & 10 AMG Monoblock | Falken 452 | Avantgarde Grill | Philips Diamond Vision 5000K H1 & H3 | Goodridge SS lines | R1 Drilled & Slotted Rotors | K&N 57i CAI | Remus Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 06:57 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1994 C220
I read an interesting study a while back that found engine wear is greatest immediately after an oil change. The study measured the amount of suspended metal particles in oil samples taken from the engine. The study used synthetic oil. If I remember correctly, the engine was run for an equivalent of 30,000 miles without changing the oil. The study didn’t go so far as recommending traveling 30,000 miles without an oil change, however, it did show that synthetic oil will not break down for an extremely long time and that overly frequent oil changes may cause excessive engine wear. So how often should oil be changed? I don’t know, but I use synthetic and go about 7,500 miles between changes. I base this on the visual condition of the oil, which by that time is starting to become dark. If I wait much longer I find the oil becoming considerably dark.

Anyhow, I personally would not change the oil after only 1000km unless it is over a year old or if it is looking dirty (blackish color).
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
I've seen Nissan truck driven for 140,000 on original dino oil. That was 20 years ago, when engines didn't last as long as they do now.
I posted it few times already, what seems to be widely publicized in Europe, but became industry secret in US. New oil comes with high amount of detergents and chemicals for balancing engine acids. That highly concentrated dose is harmful for the engine till it wear out to balanced level. Meaning at 3,000 miles the motor oil is usually at its best.
In my boat, motorhome, tractor and other seldom used engines I change the oil about every 5 years. Some of them have synthetic, some dino oil.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1994 C220
I’ve never gone over a year without changing my oil (even for an old IROC Camaro that I rarely drive) only because of the common belief that oil doesn’t last that long. However, this belief isn’t based on any scientific proof that I know of. One thing is for sure, for profit reasons oil companies want you to change you oil as frequently as they can convince you to do it. It’s also probably safe to assume that most auto manufacturers don’t want their motors to last forever as they need to sell new cars.

It seems logical to me that as long as the oil isn’t excessively contaminated and the viscosity is still good, there is really no reason to change it except to do the oil companies the favor of buying more of their product. Of course if you want to keep resale value high, frequent oil changes might resonate better with potential buyers.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 09:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbbenz View Post
I read an interesting study a while back that found engine wear is greatest immediately after an oil change. The study measured the amount of suspended metal particles in oil samples taken from the engine. The study used synthetic oil. If I remember correctly, the engine was run for an equivalent of 30,000 miles without changing the oil. The study didn’t go so far as recommending traveling 30,000 miles without an oil change, however, it did show that synthetic oil will not break down for an extremely long time and that overly frequent oil changes may cause excessive engine wear. So how often should oil be changed? I don’t know, but I use synthetic and go about 7,500 miles between changes. I base this on the visual condition of the oil, which by that time is starting to become dark. If I wait much longer I find the oil becoming considerably dark.

Anyhow, I personally would not change the oil after only 1000km unless it is over a year old or if it is looking dirty (blackish color).
7,500 is a pretty good interval. Still about 2,500 shorter than the FSS intervals, but I don't think your W202 has the FSS system.

I run the full 10,000 miles on my oil and it's always black within a couple thousand miles. When I change it it'll be all black. You can't judge synthetic oil based on looks.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
fyi - Modern Porsche cars have 15K oil change intervals or 1 year (synthetic oil). Many are low annual mileage cars that sit in a garage for entire winter season.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Just some food for thought: I was talking with one of the techs at Blackstone after submitting one of my samples. We jumped from topic to topic and BMW came up; specifically that they now recommend a 15,000 mile interval also. He said the samples coming in to them tested as horrible!

One rule of thumb is to not let conventional oil go longer than 6 months and synthetic 12 months. However, I have never seen any of the science behind that. For all I know, there might be absolutely nothing.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 06-04-2008 at 12:46 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-SV View Post
fyi - Modern Porsche cars have 15K oil change intervals or 1 year (synthetic oil). Many are low annual mileage cars that sit in a garage for entire winter season.
Modern MBs have FSS controlled oil change interval of up to 19 000 miles or 2 years, in Europe (the same MBs with the same oil as you are driving in the US).

I don't know how the long storage period should be taken into account, I guess if the engine has been well driven warm before the car goes to sleep, it would not make too much of a difference?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
One rule of thumb is to not let conventional oil go longer than 6 months and synthetic 12 months. However, I have never seen any of the science behind that. For all I know, there might be absolutely nothing.

The FSS in 1999 MB model was allowing us to drive with no time limit up to average 13,000 miles. For years when our ML was recreational vehicle (not driven daily) we had oil changed with 18 months intervals.
What often "kills" the oil is water condensation. I live in "dry" California, but in the mountains where in the winter we have lot of condensation. My old Chevy truck was running on dino oil and with less than 2000 miles annually I didn't change the oil too often. But occasionally the oil on dipstick would have terrible look and that usually when I was replacing it. With longer drive the water probably would evaporate, but getting 3 years on the old oil usually would satisfy me. Sold the 35 years old truck in still good running condition.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:52 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: MBZ 300SD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbbenz View Post
The study measured the amount of suspended metal particles in oil samples taken from the engine.
That is why I added on all my car a good magnet on the exterior of the oil pan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in