It has been repainted and has probably has had the hood replaced... - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 01:42 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CarFax and other " purchased and public" data information systems are well known for their limitations. These services certainly aren't reliable for older cars in states that didn't have complete DMV computer systems.

CarFax is a decent tool to track ownership, emission testing, odometer fraud and warranty or recall issues, but is unreliable when it comes to property damage or maintenance. I've come across more than a half dozen cars that I know were in accidents that have clean CarFax reports to this day because traffic accident reports, collision and autobody shops aren't part of their database.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-SV View Post
Interesting experience w/Carfax, thanks for pointing this out. Obviously Carfax has limited usefulness, mainly to trace number of owners, locations and dates. "Totaled" vehicles as reported for registration purposes should show up, but forget about seeing other accidents/damage.
You're welcome and I have told that story on here before. As I see it, the CarFax weakness lies in the many body shops that are not in their "network" and therefore do not report to them. As far as I know, the rest of their information (essentially what you mentioned) is accurate.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I mentioned Carfax because I've seen posters on this forum that expect that they can get accurate accident history of vehicles from these reports.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-SV View Post
I mentioned Carfax because I've seen posters on this forum that expect that they can get accurate accident history of vehicles from these reports.
It's a common mis-conception and certainly worth mentioning. As I stated earlier, I was duped into thinking I had an accident-free car because of the report.

However, I think what upset me the most was that the dealer was dishonest by not disclosing that. They even had a body shop, so their body repair people should have gone over the car thoroughly before selling it to me. Heck, for all I know they did the work! Needless to say I stopped doing business with them.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:55 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2000 E430 4Matic
I posted this in the other thread.........Why would you start a new thread about the same thing??????????????????????

Guess I was spot on, huh?

*From other thread*
Wow, some of the responses here really make me laugh.

Magnets?
Different paint thickness on purpose?

Are you people bodymen in real life or do you just play one on the internet?

A magnet will do absolutely ZERO for the paint thickness and will very rarely show any bondo except in the case of a huge amount. Even a thin refrig. magnet will go right through a professionally laid on filler.

Extra thick paint from the factory? That is hilarious. Cars are now and have been for years sprayed by robot to exacting standards. All panels get the same amount.

Aluminum panels needing more paint? Give me a break. The aluminum saves weight, period.

The average person will not be able to detect body repair that is even shoddy at best. A pro will detect even the best work as there are always signs, always.

The dealer will rely on a paint depth gauge to determine past body repair if it is good enough to the naked untrained eye.

Without seeing the car in question in person, I would say it was in some type of front end accident and there will be tons of signs, but for the OP, I would strongly take issue with the selling dealer. Carfax is a joke. Tons of accidents don't get listed and if the car was repaired for cash and not under insurance, it won't show either.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:13 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Springbean- This is a case of I hope you learned a lesson. There is really nothing you can do at this point. Did you ever stop to think for a moment why this car wasn't CPO'd when you purchased it? As long as it was a newer model (which yours was), then that ALONE should have been a major red flag right there.

Seeing that you didn't inspect the car prior to purchase and entrusted the dealer 100%, you got screwed by your own stupidity on this one. Even a mechanic checking the car over during a PPI inspection would have seen this and called it to your attention.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
(Thread Starter)
Why are so worked up? They have been very helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh225 View Post
I posted this in the other thread.........Why would you start a new thread about the same thing??????????????????????

Guess I was spot on, huh?

*From other thread*
Wow, some of the responses here really make me laugh.

Magnets?
Different paint thickness on purpose?

Are you people bodymen in real life or do you just play one on the internet?

A magnet will do absolutely ZERO for the paint thickness and will very rarely show any bondo except in the case of a huge amount. Even a thin refrig. magnet will go right through a professionally laid on filler.
I think the magnet was to prove it the hood was aluminum or not, it had nothing to do with paint thickness

Extra thick paint from the factory? That is hilarious. Cars are now and have been for years sprayed by robot to exacting standards. All panels get the same amount. Paint does come thicker from the factory, and just like the poster said, it's only on certain parts of the car. I learned that from the authorized MB body shop owner that I spoke with today. And, yes, I know robots paint the cars, but that's just how it is.

Aluminum panels needing more paint? Give me a break. The aluminum saves weight, period.
Again, I think the poster was just throwing out ideas. No need to get your panties in a wad.

The average person will not be able to detect body repair that is even shoddy at best. A pro will detect even the best work as there are always signs, always.
In this case the average person could find the "signs" of a repaint, it was fairly obvious after I knew what to look for.

The dealer will rely on a paint depth gauge to determine past body repair if it is good enough to the naked untrained eye.
Also not true, experienced technicians rarely use these gauges anymore because of the materials that ars are made of (ie aluminum) That's why most reputable body shops will train their techs to "feel" for a repaint.

Without seeing the car in question in person, I would say it was in some type of front end accident and there will be tons of signs, but for the OP, I would strongly take issue with the selling dealer. Carfax is a joke. Tons of accidents don't get listed and if the car was repaired for cash and not under insurance, it won't show either.
Thanks for your help, but next time try to be a little less abrasive and condescending

Last edited by springbean; 06-03-2008 at 03:24 PM.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:53 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbean View Post

Thanks for your help, but next time try to be a little less abrasive and condescending

Pssst, in case you forgot, this IS the internet.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
Pssst, in case you forgot, this IS the internet.
Yep and I'm getting sleepy.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Thumbs up Attn: springbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbean View Post

Tell it like it is springbean! FWIW, I was the poster who mentioned the varying paint thickness and I knew what I was talking about (thanks to that Mercedes GM).

Also, I loved the "panties in a wad" comment of yours, I had not heard it quite like that. Here in West "By God" Virginia, it's "panties in a twist". Obviously, the same thing...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in