The Time Has Come, Im Finally Getting My First Car - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Are we supposed to take this thread seriously? What the heck, it's only money...

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: '04 Black CL500, "06 White ML350, '98 Red Boxster
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well hell.. If Dad says moneys no object I would opt for the C63 with shiny new helmet and racing harness... May as well do it right..

"Roll that beautiful bean footage!"
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 2000' CL500
When I was your age, I was taught that no matter how much my parents were willing to spend for my car, the "best car" for me was whatever car that I could afford from my own pocket.

I did get my BMW in high school for graduating near the top of my class and getting a scholarship to U.C. Berkeley. But even then I felt embarrassed for not being able to get this car with my own efforts.

It's not my place to impose on you what you should do with your car but if your parents are willing to be generous with you, I'd recommend getting something with less power. The C300 or 328i may even offer too much power for you. There's a reason why insurance companies charge so much money for drivers under the age 25, not to mention those who are under 21.

I am sure you have already read threads in this past year about that kid with a M5 who got himself killed along with a few of his friends. In my opinion the kid's parents are just as much responsible as the kid himself, as they should have known that raising a child is a lot more than simply dumping money on them.

Besides, if you start young with a C63, there will come to a point in your life where your parents are just not going to provide you with anything. It'll be awfully very difficult for you to step down to something that's less expensive and less powerful.

Start lower and aim high. You'll eventually get that best car that you could ever dream of at one point of your lifetime.

Jon
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 1990 300E, 2002 ML500
Well while I have to agree that a massively powerful car would be a bad idea for a new driver, I also say that the insurance companies are evil as hell and charge way too much for young drivers. I think it is at 23 that insurance rates go down, what the hell, thats 7 years. I have a perfect driving record am more cautious than the stereotypical teenager, mostly due to the fact that if the 300E is wrecked then it is totalled by the insurance company because of its very low value (I love that warm safe feeling that having insurance gives you). I can understand elevated rates for young drivers, but its beyond elevated, its insane.

As for you wanting a poon car, I would have to disagree with you, most of the girls I know love the new 3-series as if it were liquid sex, its a total chick car. Have fun with whatever you do, be safe, drive with judgement and use condoms.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:28 AM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahappybanana View Post
I also say that the insurance companies are evil as hell and charge way too much for young drivers.
Since insurance companies have to price on a statistical model rather than each individual customer, the teen driver demographic is far and away the highest risk segment, not only for fender benders, but also for serious injury and fatalities.

One demographic that should also be a "high risk" sector are senior drivers, but their risks are offset by fewer miles driven, the speed at which accidents occur and usually on driving during daylight hours, which is almost opposite to the behavior of teen drivers.

Parents of teen drivers or adults under 23 should look into companies that reward good grades, low claim history or other "good driver" discounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in