post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 07 E350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
NEW E350 Owner with amateur questions

Just bought an 07 E350; brand new! First MBZ for myself; had MBZs in the family since forever, but my first one!

When I bought it, it took a little longer than anticipated and I didn't get a tour of the car's abilities/features.

It is has pkg I and sport pkg with the gray maple...very nice.

Quick 2 questions;

I know there are so many bluetooth answers on the forum, but not sure what applies, the window sticker was unclear in my eyes. - Do i only need to buy the adapter for B/T to work? Not sure where the plug is that is mentioned in the forum; and I read it may be a std feature on the 07s; it does have the speaker in the mirror, etc.

Smart key - Do i have smart keys? They are silver and don't have any teeth. If they are, how do i activate them? They aren't working very smartly!

Thanks anyone & everyone, wish me luck with my first MBZ!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Audio & Telematics would give better info. Don't know if phone kit is standard in the US now but on a W211 you should find the cradle connector from the centre storage compartment, from the floor. It may have a plastic cover on it. A phone specific cradle or a BT adapter would plug into that connector if it is there.

There are no speakers in the mirror. Microphones preferably.

I don't know what you mean by smart key but to me it is a smart key if it supports the current MB drive authorisation which your car has. Perhaps you are expecting some key specific settings at the car, those were dropped some time ago. I guess you know if it is keyless-go or not if that is what you mean by smart key.

You should not need luck with the new MB, just enjoy the ride, but I can still wish you luck where ever you need it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 09:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You have the SmartKey. The key itself is the entire fob. There is a mechanical key that you can take out of the fob to unlock the doors manually and lock the glovebox (I think). This is normally used for valets where you take the mechanical key after locking the glovebox and stuff and taking the rest of the keys with you and leaving just the fob with the valet.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I found the plug, thanks; now it's off to get a bluetooth adapter tomorrow...thanks!

Smart keys - it says you only need to be 3' from the car with your key in your pocket and it'll unlock automatically and can even start remotely; but that's not working for me...is there a switch i need to flip? or better said (mercedes); a feature I need to turn on (since EVERYTHING is electronic).

Thanks all!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey2 View Post
...Smart keys - it says you only need to be 3' from the car with your key in your pocket and it'll unlock automatically and can even start remotely; but that's not working for me...is there a switch i need to flip? or better said (mercedes); a feature I need to turn on (since EVERYTHING is electronic). Thanks all!
You are describing the "Keyless Go" feature. I don't have that so cannot help, but I would drive back the your dealer and have someone help you become familiar with your car. I think that is part of your salesman's job.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey2 View Post
I found the plug, thanks; now it's off to get a bluetooth adapter tomorrow...thanks!

Smart keys - it says you only need to be 3' from the car with your key in your pocket and it'll unlock automatically and can even start remotely; but that's not working for me...is there a switch i need to flip? or better said (mercedes); a feature I need to turn on (since EVERYTHING is electronic).

Thanks all!
I thought it would not open "automatically" but only when touching the door handle. The idea is that the car can only be opened from the side where you are (or the trunk if you are at the rear).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
I thought it would not open "automatically" but only when touching the door handle.
From what I remember reading, Diesel Benz is correct. I believe the MB version of "remote start" is that with this feature you do not have to place the key into the ignition switch, and if so, there should be a button/switch that you need to press for the car to start. Of course, this assumes that you still have your key with you.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 05-26-2008 at 11:50 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 12:16 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz E500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No offense...

but have you considered spending some "quality time" with the owner's manual? I am pretty sure it covers the smart key and all of the car's other features.

Enjoy...

JR
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Class Owner View Post
but have you considered spending some "quality time" with the owner's manual? I am pretty sure it covers the smart key and all of the car's other features.

Enjoy...

JR
I'm an impatient guy, the manual leaves alot behid in my eyes.

I didn't drive it today, just went out to the garage and gauked at it, it's a beautiful car. I think they hit the mark with these E series; 07-08s.

I am going back tomorrow to get the nickel tour of the car's abilities; just a little bummed it's so difficult to figger this thang out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in