BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1986 mercedes benz amg 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to amg420mb
(Thread Starter)
Post 1986 420 sel amg needs help

hey guys just recently purchased a 1986 420 sel with some amg and other custom work paint in excel condition with minor work needed interior still clean normal wear love this car paid 900 for it and the only known problem is it will start sort of and then die the previous owner bought the car and had a shop come to a conclusion of faulty fuel filter or pump i have the printed invoice with that info the new owner passed shortly after that and i purchased the car through the estate sale i was wondering how much will a repair along these lines cost and if it is worth it i know there is 2 pumps on this model is this the type of work a home mechanic can do ??!!!

amg420mb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
That's a lot of car for $900. Did you leave out a zero? If the only problem is a fuel pump, it's a fairly straightforward repair. A fuel filter is simpler. Whether it's a do-it-yourself job or not depends whether you are handy and are willing to find out exactly what the job will involve. If you are thinking you'll just go at it with a pair of channel locks and a screwdriver and figure it out as you work, you'll do more damage than good. I'm not assuming you'll do that, but if this is your first Mercedes, you'll find it is not a simple machine and it requires more than intuition to understand. I have no idea what the parts will be, but they won't be inexpensive and you won't find them at Auto Zone, most likely. If you have a $900 420, I'd advise you to find a good independent shop that knows the model and pay them whatever the tab is to get it in shape. You'll still have a deal. Nice ride.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1986 mercedes benz amg 420
Send a message via AIM to amg420mb
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA View Post
That's a lot of car for $900. Did you leave out a zero? If the only problem is a fuel pump, it's a fairly straightforward repair. A fuel filter is simpler. Whether it's a do-it-yourself job or not depends whether you are handy and are willing to find out exactly what the job will involve. If you are thinking you'll just go at it with a pair of channel locks and a screwdriver and figure it out as you work, you'll do more damage than good. I'm not assuming you'll do that, but if this is your first Mercedes, you'll find it is not a simple machine and it requires more than intuition to understand. I have no idea what the parts will be, but they won't be inexpensive and you won't find them at Auto Zone, most likely. If you have a $900 420, I'd advise you to find a good independent shop that knows the model and pay them whatever the tab is to get it in shape. You'll still have a deal. Nice ride.
thanks alot boss i have had a few older cars 85 bmw 318 85 jag xj6 did some repairs and swaps but havent owned a mercedes and being 20 and this being my dream car im a kid in a candy store but i do want the professionals to handle anything that comes my way because i kno with the proper up keep the 126 can be a dream and with improper care it can be a nightmare

amg420mb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in