Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: W126 420SE & W126 300SE
Location: Scottish Borders, UK
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Treating Rust - stages?
Hi, I am trying to sort out some rust patches. Luckily the car is white which seems to be easier to get looking decent than many other colours, also I have the right colour match.
I was wondering about the stages as I have tried various in the past. What I am thinking is: -
1. Remove loose rust and paint with an angle grinder and a wire brush on a drill
2. Kurust (seems to turn the rust black)
3. Zinc primer (from halfords)
5. sand down with wet & dry paper
6. Filler primer (Halfords)
7. sand down
9. Leave for a few weeks then T-cut or similar (I've used the autoglym restorer stuff in the past, seems good)
There seem to be a number of different primers around. Any advice on which are best? Same goes for fillers.
Any advice would be appreciated. As you can see, I'm not exactly a pro!