Key - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You understand of course Mercedes maintains a database of keys and knows how to get you the correct key solely based on your VIN.

In addition, it keeps track of how many spare keys have been issued to your VIN and after a certain number no more are possible.

All this costs $$ to maintain.

But, your head will stop hurting if you stop beating it against the wall.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
lkchris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 01:29 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
BlkCL500's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: '04 Black CL500, "06 White ML350, '98 Red Boxster
Location: Trinity, Florida
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
You understand of course Mercedes maintains a database of keys and knows how to get you the correct key solely based on your VIN.

In addition, it keeps track of how many spare keys have been issued to your VIN and after a certain number no more are possible.

All this costs $$ to maintain.

But, your head will stop hurting if you stop beating it against the wall.
Huh?

"Roll that beautiful bean footage!"
BlkCL500 is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 01:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think there's a lot more involved than just replacing the key. As I understand it the new key and your car must be "mated." The dealer must set the key code and I believe reset all of your car codes for it to work, and that is probably a pricey process.

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 09:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
'91 300CE's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML320
Location: Portland Area
Posts: 1,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I think there's a lot more involved than just replacing the key. As I understand it the new key and your car must be "mated." The dealer must set the key code and I believe reset all of your car codes for it to work, and that is probably a pricey process.
This is not correct... the key comes shipped pre-programmed to work with your car... no resetting of any codes in the car... you get the key and plug it in and you are set to go... sometimes the kay can be shipped to you directly not to the dealer... your car comes with a set number of key designations... up to 8... so slots 1&2 are accounted for from the factory... when you order a new key that takes slot 3 and the car is ready for slots 3-8 to be filled.

Think in the way of an RSA VPN Key... rolling code constantly, but the VPN always knows what code should be showing at any given time you log in.

2005 BMW 325Ci - Sport, Premium and Cold Weather Pkgs
2000 C230K -- Desert Silver Metallic -- 113,000 miles -- Sold
2002 ML320 -- Alabaster White
1991 300CE -- Blue Black Metallic -- 129,000 miles -- Sold
1981 300SD -- Classic White -- 190,000 miles -- Sold
1977 240D -- Over 300k miles (Wrecked) -- My 1st car
2006 Porsche Cayenne S - Dad's
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo S

||||||

'91 300CE is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 12:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by '91 300CE View Post
This is not correct... the key comes shipped pre-programmed to work with your car... no resetting of any codes in the car... you get the key and plug it in and you are set to go... sometimes the kay can be shipped to you directly not to the dealer... your car comes with a set number of key designations... up to 8... so slots 1&2 are accounted for from the factory... when you order a new key that takes slot 3 and the car is ready for slots 3-8 to be filled.

Think in the way of an RSA VPN Key... rolling code constantly, but the VPN always knows what code should be showing at any given time you log in.
That's interesting. I had never heard that before...

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    '86 190e Ignition key problem- the key won't turn Guest (MBNZ) W201 190-Class 7 04-13-2010 04:35 PM
    1997 key remote. i hate th bulky key in the benz. have any Carlo$ R129 SL-Class 4 04-10-2009 10:44 AM
    Skeleton Key for Radio Box! One key fits all...? Monstermog1964 Unimog 2 11-20-2007 06:11 PM
    3 button key spare key $480!!?? Benzguy888 W211 E-Class 18 09-03-2007 06:01 AM
    lost key.... non remote key from dealer $30-$40 wow.... mbnz230 W140 S-Class 8 12-16-2005 04:34 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome