LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
btw, regarding the oil consumption test:

"I just had the dealer start an oil consumption test this week; the first step for which is to check for external leaks and doing an oil change."

How many miles to they want to elapse for the test period? Did they happen to state what is the threshold for excessive oil use? Just curious.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hi MB-SV,

I am supposed to return after 660 miles for them to measure somehow how much is missing. The service writer just said depending on what that shows, they will know in which direction to proceed.

One of the techs (the one who has my car) told me earlier that if the car uses equal to or greater than 0.8L per 1100 miles that it is considered excessive and they go to the next step. Another tech told me that MB generally considers 1 quart per 1000 miles as within normal limits, but that there are ways around the strictly MB protocol. The former service manager told me 1 qt/700 miles is considered normal.

In other words, I can't give you a definitive answer.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
MM - I've heard Porsche owners say the company uses the 1000 miles to the quart threshold also.

Hopefully your results are much better than that. But you must have been concerned about the oil use to prompt the test.

S.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
1 qt every 700 miles is really a lot of consumption.
If it was on an extended warranty, they would tell you that hoping that the warranty would run out before the oil consumption started fouling the spark plugs and causing other grief.
If you have to start adding a qt ever 700 mi between oil changes, that a hell of a lot of added oil.
If the rings are worn or the valve guides are shot, that's what you start to see.
Get a few more expert opinions on a qt per 700 miles.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-SV View Post
MM - I've heard Porsche owners say the company uses the 1000 miles to the quart threshold also.

Hopefully your results are much better than that. But you must have been concerned about the oil use to prompt the test.
MB-SV,

Thank you for the moral support. I owned a couple of Porsches (1972 911T amd a 1976 911 Targa - obviously a long time ago) but I don't remember ever having to add oil to them. What I DO remember about those 2 beasts is that they both needed major engine work by 80,000 miles.

I haven't kept a detailed log of the oil I have had to add to the E320 but I can tell you from memory that I only drove 300 miles between adding quarts before the last oil change toward the end of the FSS cycle. As a means of comparison, after that change I drove ~2500 miles before adding any more.

Back to the original topic, I was told today that during an oil consuption test, the dipstick level on a cold engine has to be at the top/full position. For whatever reason (the service writer was not sure) when the engine is warm it will give me the REDUCE OIL LEVEL error message. In my opinion, like most substances the oil expands in volume when it gets hot.

I'm going to drive the car for the 660 miles and ignore the warning. My complaint is now documented on the MB system so if something goes wrong, I have to assume that I have done my part.

Last edited by Musikmann; 04-15-2008 at 06:05 PM.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Salut Derek,

I agree, 700/quart is unacceptable. I am on an extended (CPO) warranty and I have 2 months and 30,000 miles to go. My Blackstone Labs report is encouraging, in that there are not an excessive amount of trace elements that would indicate that the rings have deteriorated. I don't think the oil analysis says anything about valve guides. There IS a bit of Aluminum which they say might indicate piston wear, but the level is the same as the last oil analysis (62,000 vs 70,000).

Last edited by Musikmann; 04-15-2008 at 07:47 PM.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
MB-SV,

I haven't kept a detailed log of the oil I have had to add to the E320 but I can tell you from memory that I only drove 300 miles between adding quarts before the last oil change toward the end of the FSS cycle. As a means of comparison, after that change I drove ~2500 miles before adding any more.
Wow, strange. If I'm reading correctly above, you had an episode with the E320 where it was using a quart every 300 miles, but later went 2500 miles before it needed another quart.

The old air-cooled Porsche engines would use more oil during high speed long distance runs (80mph+ for hours), but by design an air-cooled motor has different tolerances. Were your driving conditions different during the high oil use period?

S.

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB-SV View Post
Wow, strange. If I'm reading correctly above, you had an episode with the E320 where it was using a quart every 300 miles, but later went 2500 miles before it needed another quart.

The old air-cooled Porsche engines would use more oil during high speed long distance runs (80mph+ for hours), but by design an air-cooled motor has different tolerances. Were your driving conditions different during the high oil use period?
Yes, you read that correctly and the 300 miles between adding a quart was a one-time incident, but it got my attention!. I had the oil changed shortly thereafter (B service at 62,000) and it was approximately 2500 miles before the car's electronics told me to add another quart. For what this is worth, I'm lazy and don't check the dipstick all that often.

As far as differing driving conditions, not that I know of. My girlfriend lives 200 miles from here and I usually take the Mercedes, so that's 400 miles of 70-80 MPH on an Interstate highway one or 2 times a month. The rest of the miles are a combination of highway/city.

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
Yes, you read that correctly and the 300 miles between adding a quart was a one-time incident, but it got my attention!. I had the oil changed shortly thereafter (B service at 62,000) and it was approximately 2500 miles before the car's electronics told me to add another quart. For what this is worth, I'm lazy and don't check the dipstick all that often.

Were you using the dipstick method of checking during the high oil use period?

If not, it's probably a good idea if the electronic method cannot be trusted.

Any news from the service guys on your MB?

My 04 BoxsterS has a neat digital oil level gauge with increments that seems to track close to what I read on the dipstick, but I still use the dipstick to be sure...

S.

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Arrow MB-SV

Quote:
Were you using the dipstick method of checking during the high oil use period? If not, it's probably a good idea if the electronic method cannot be trusted.
No I was not, I didn't start doing that until later but I certainly agree that it's a good idea.

Quote:
Any news from the service guys on your MB?
Nothing new since my last post. One of the service writers is supposed to call me, after speaking with the service manager, regarding the details on my analog to digital TeleAid upgrade today.

Quote:
My 04 BoxsterS has a neat digital oil level gauge with increments that seems to track close to what I read on the dipstick, but I still use the dipstick to be sure
In my opinion a good idea. So far, I have no reason to distrust ny oil level sensor, but I have been wrong before.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in