LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Derek, do you happen to know what the factory recommended lug torque is? I think it might be in the owner's manual but that is not handy right now. Sorry to hear about your mis-fortune

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 2000 clk320 convertible
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I carry a 3' long 1 inch copper pipe in my trunk beside the spare for that exact reason, so that I will not be stranded trying to open tight lug nuts on my flats in cold winter.. i also carry a hat in the trunk just in case, and gloves too And a flat repair kit including a small cigarette lighter compressor too. it has saved me butt so many times

Last edited by Camsky; 03-27-2008 at 02:51 PM.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 06:21 PM

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: E55 ///AMG
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Lecours View Post
Actually, my dealer rotated mine and torqued some of the bolts to 160 ft/lbs. OUCH !!!
I surely would have been stranded if I had attempted to change it myself with the little wrench that the car comes with.
It's a shame to always have to re-check the dealers work.
I knew something was up when the torque wrench never came out.
The dealer used to let you watch from behind a wall but that's now been stopped.
I got lucky with the stall location and still had a view.
Some of the dealers are definitely slipping.
Whoa that is not acceptable at all! And like you I always re-check the dealers work! I don't normally inspect everything they done before I leave the service as they always forget to put stuff at one time I found a torx screw in the front seat

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 06:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2003 S500 4MATIC
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^^Have you actually tested that copper pipe? It depends on the wall thickness of course, but I think it might bend/fold if you put any real force on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlawsonesq View Post
I misstated my tires - I have on the car the Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus. Those (or their latest version) are the ones the dealership has recommended. The local Costco shop claims those tires wear out too quickly and that is why there is no specific number of miles on its treadwear warranty.
I have those tires on my car (made in 2002) and they still have plenty of tread at 35,000 miles.

"Mercedes: Expensive and Built to Stay That Way"
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Smile 4 Michlein Pilot Sport A/S + free 4 wheel alignment

Std deal at my local Michlein dealer...
Goodyear SUCKS! Remember all the press about scammed repair jobs and ripping off Seniors?
Find a Good INDEPENDENT Shop and give them your business...you will get Better Service, you will SUPPORT a Local Small Business and they will Appreciate Your Patronage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlawsonesq View Post
I need new tires on a 2000 E320 that I purchased used last year. I have not owned a Merecedes before. I have typically bought tire for all of my cars at a local Goodyear dealership.

I have been buying tires from the same indy tire shop for 20 years, started when they were a 2 nab shop and now they are a major player but they still treat everyone like family. When Freddie Sr. passed on, I was amazed at the turn out at his funeral. Most of the young men in that area got their first paycheck from Freddie Sr.

The difference is not always $$$, it is Service and Attitude.

and 's lots and lots of
Is there anything unique to a Mercedes vehicle that would compel me to use the dealership for this? The local dealership's prices are much higher for both the tires and the installation. For instance, they want $130 to do an alignment. Goodyear quoted me $69 for an alignment. I do have an alignment issue as the tires have worn unevenly up front.

Also, any opinions on the two types of tires I am considering - Michelin Pilot MXV4 verus Goodyear Assuarance ComforTreds?

Thanks.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 07:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
Derek, do you happen to know what the factory recommended lug torque is? I think it might be in the owner's manual but that is not handy right now. Sorry to hear about your mis-fortune
Yes the B class is not hi-tech at all.
The manual shows 130 Nm which is 95ft/lbs. That's the standard torque that we see on many cars.
So torquing to 160ft/lbs was way out of line.
When notifying the service manager, all he said was don't worry, it can't warp the disc.
That service B was not a fun experience and all for the purpose of getting that dealer stamp and protecting the warranty in case something does go wrong.
Cheers, Derek
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have searched a lot of posts about alignment but have not seen my "mystery" talked about. This is the story. Bought nice, one owner 99 E320 with 61,000 miles a year ago. The steering wheel was off center while driving straight. If the top of the horn/srs pad is used as a horizontal line, and the bottom edge of the insturument cluster as a reference point, the horn pad was about 1.5 inches down on the left side. Did not bother me as the car tracked perfectly and tire wear was very even. No pulling to either side, etc. Went to the dealer for a complementary "service clinic". They noticed the steering wheel being off center and recommended a 4 wheel alignment. Did not get that done, at that time. Again, the wheel being off several degrees did not bother me, especially without other symptoms. The inspection was in early Nov. Bought 4 new winter tires to get through the snow. Then, a few weeks ago, found the bad spring perch on driver's side. Had that replaced by the dealer. The 4 wheel alignment was done at that time. The centering of the steering wheel was better, but not perfect. Still off horizontal by about a half to three quarters of an inch. But, the car tracked perfectly so I didn't worry about it. Now, just last week, had the winter tires removed and my Michelin MXV4 energys put back on for the summer. I use a local, independant tire guy I've dealt with for years. He cleans the hubs and wheels and always uses torque wrench. Now, the mystery. The steering wheel is now about 1.5 to 2 inches off center to the right! A total change from where it had been. The tires were put back on where they had been, but I know that the wheels themselves did not go back to the same places. The wheels are all the same size. Stock, that came with the car new. Since the car had an alignment a few weeks ago, why would things change so much with just changing tires? Again, no pulling to either side. Car tracks straight and true. I can let go of the wheel at any speed, fast or slow, and the car will follow a straight line until the road curves and I have to grab the wheel again. Does anyone know why the centering of the steering wheel would change so much, after putting my summer tires back on? Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to give the whole picture. Thanks all.
Peter
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:55 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
techs not using torque wrenches on wheels are total losers. I have never once neglected to use a tw or torque stick. those techs pounding wheel bolts on with 1/2" guns are the same techs butchering the entire car.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:59 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
to properly align a mercedes it takes skill. ride height is the first measure that only a mb dealer will address. it must be within spec for the car to be aligned properly. second, to adjust caster or camber you need to replace the bolts that secure the control arm to the subframe. if not done properly you will destroy the control arm or subframe depending on model. have your alignment done at a mb dealer and look at the alignment sheet when you pick up your car. id say 60% of techs are clueless on alignments since mb does not send most of us to school for them.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Exclamation Attn: CarmineMB82

Quote:
Originally Posted by carminemb82 View Post
techs not using torque wrenches on wheels are total losers. I have never once neglected to use a tw or torque stick. those techs pounding wheel bolts on with 1/2" guns are the same techs butchering the entire car.
Hi Carmine,

It's Great to have another MB tech contributing on Benzworld!

Welcome to the forum!!

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in