Restoring Faded and Cracked Wood Trim - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Heckler und Koch
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Restoring Faded and Cracked Wood Trim

hi there, in my w140 s500 the wood trim on my center console and around the shifter is fading and has some cracks in it, however i think they are not cracks in the wood but sufrace cracks on the clear finish. how can one restore this wood? should remove the wood and sand it down and then coat it with home depot products? what do u recomend for restoring wood to new? thanks
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 09:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Cracks in the clear go into the veneer, because the clear cracked all the way through including where it had soaked into the veneer when it was originally applied. The only way to completely get rid of the crack is to sand slightly into the veneer, and that changes the color of the veneer where you've sanded. So then you have to sand down the whole thing into the veneer to make the color uniform, and then it doesn't match the other pieces of wood around it. So then you have to do all the other pieces of wood in the car to get them all to match. And then you can re-clear the whole thing. Plan on about a 3 month project - longer if you have a day job.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 05:37 AM
Heckler und Koch
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
damn thats a long time, by different color you mean Totally different? with what do i clear coat it? dupli-color clear coat paint?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 07:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
It's just a different shade, but noticeably different. You can try painting the color back into on that spot, either with acrylic artists paints or stain pens. Better to get the clear at an automotive paint shop. The better the quality the better it will look and longer it will last. Two part catalyzed urethane catalyzed clear would be best. Air dryed rattle cans take a long time to really dry/harden and usually don't hold up very well. UPol #1 Clear is good in a spray can but expensive, around $20 a can. There's probably some others. A good automotive paint store can advise.

United States - Products and Info / products/aerosols

Last edited by deanyel; 03-14-2008 at 07:45 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 1998 E320 Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Deanyel is correct.

It's a pretty big job to do right. The veneer is exceedingly thin - maybe 1/42" today but on older models maybe 1/32". If you are not experienced sanding veneer (grits/pressure) it's easy to go thru to the plastic.

High end vehicles use nitrocellulous lacquer for a clear coat. Polyurethane varnish would probably look similar but as has been said you need to redo all the wood if you want it to match.

If you're here in the US, you might contact the MB Classic Center in Irvine, CA. You could probably arrange to send them all the pieces and have them refinished.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 11:10 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 2001 ML320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Polishing wood trim

I recently pulled my center console trim to replace the ash tray bulb, and took the opportunity to clean up the wood trim. The vehicle is 9 years old and had lots of small scratches and dulling around the window switches. I had success with Brasso polish. I have also used the same product to remove haze from the headlights. I know it sounds crazy to use metal polish on wood and plastic, but it works. Brasso has a much finer grit than something like rubbing compound.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: