post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
engine swap ?s

so..... If i totaly mess this up let me know, but here it goes

I recently found an 89' 300E (it was wondering arround my neighborhood like a stray dog) and liberated it from its previous owners. Now that we've established that im new to this era/124 model of Mercedes, my questions are as follows>>>

Is it possible to swap the stock 300E engine for the factory stock 500E? yes i know, why not just buy the whole 500E and not just the engine. My grandfather actualy has just such an engine in factory condition laying arround. If so, is it closer to a direct drop in or would i be better finding an empty 500E rolling chassis? If all this is possible, what kind of performance boost would it give? What are the differences between thse two engines, besides the gas milege

Second, was there a factory turbo made for either the 300E or 500E? would one fit on the other? If not what aftermarket turbos are ok? ive heard that these engines are really quite durable ( except for the valves and guides) and can handle quite a bit of pressure.

Laugh if these ideas are absurd, just trying to explore the potential... thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 07:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: CLS550 Master Lease, 1990 300zxTT, 2000 camry
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm those are good ?'s. The engine should basically drop in, but the M.E. from the 300 will not work on the 500 or at least not properly, so you would need the 500 M.E. and harness. There will be differences however in the transmission hard lines and several connections, so for the price of those old care I would go with a 500 chassis. As far as turbo's go there was nothing from the factory available in the US except diesels in those years, aftermarket is possible espescially if you change the head gasket. The project is definatly do-able but I would go the easy route and get a 500 chassis.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 01:36 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 1990 300e...gas..body. I also have a 1980 300d diesel..decent motor (like to add turbo from 1983 sd ..) and tranny. anybody done this...hints ideas..Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in