LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Maybe you can help answer my question?

I have a C320 2002 and recently had the battery drained from the seat motors. The car has since been restarted and the seat motors have been unplugged. The ESP light did come on and then later disappeared. I drove the car for the day. The following day, the check engine light went on and now the car won't accelerate pass 30mph. What could be wrong with the car? Does it just need an ESP reprogramming? Thanks in advance for any help on this matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 02:13 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 1998 E320 Wagon
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Your car has gone into "Limp Home Mode". It's a compromise operation mode which doesn't leave you stranded but prevents you from taking a long trip.

The ESP light may or may not be part of the problem. It's tied into the BAS system so your brakes may be an issue.

Start by getting the OBD codes scanned. These consist of a letter followed by 4 digits (ie P0165). There may be more than one. Autozone stores will scan your car for free but may not want to share the codes since they do it to get your repair business.

If you can get the codes, post them here in your models subforum - W203- and someone will interpret them for you. This is useful since you will be more informed when dealing with a mechanic.

Good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks RichardM98

That sounds like really helpful advice. But, it's interesting that you say it may be my brakes b/c I did get my brakes replaced about a month ago. I know new brakes are meant to squeak, but they're STILL squeaking! Maybe they were installed incorrectly? I think I'm going to bring it back to the shop where I got them done. But, if it were the breaks, wouldn't the BAS or ABS lights flash instead of the check engine light? OH, and the shop is about 20 miles from my house, will I be able to drive it there w/out compromising the engine?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 03:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
in your case and situation i dont think the 2 are related in any way. if your battery was dead, the esp light was on due to the steering angle sensor needing to be initalized. since driving around made it go off, you probably initialized it on your own. either way, a brake issue will not cause a check engine light. if brakes were installed wrong, it wont cause the CEL to come on. the 2 are not related. you most likely have another issue.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 06:19 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetglower View Post
in your case and situation i dont think the 2 are related in any way. if your battery was dead, the esp light was on due to the steering angle sensor needing to be initalized. since driving around made it go off, you probably initialized it on your own. either way, a brake issue will not cause a check engine light. if brakes were installed wrong, it wont cause the CEL to come on. the 2 are not related. you most likely have another issue.
What I was referring to is that several owners have experienced the car going into Limp Home Mode after having the ESP light come on. No connection to CEL of course.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
New brakes are not meant to squeak!!

Len
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: CLS550 Master Lease, 1990 300zxTT, 2000 camry
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
An ESP failure should not put the vehicle into Limp mode. An ESP failure should only disable the ESP system. Your best option here is to get the codes scanned, I wouldnt recommend driving since you dont know what cause the limp mode.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 04:37 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle21nluvnit View Post
An ESP failure should not put the vehicle into Limp mode. An ESP failure should only disable the ESP system. Your best option here is to get the codes scanned, I wouldnt recommend driving since you dont know what cause the limp mode.
If you do a search with ESP and Limp Home Mode at this site, you'll get two pages of hits. Here are a few examples with references. Happy reading.

"...2) The BAS/ESP/ABS and check engine light came on and threw the car into "limp mode" stranding my wife..."

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...Limp+Home+Mode

"...I was driving around 25MPH on a small quiet road when suddenly the BAS/ESP light came on and it felt as though the motor had cut out, except I still had power steering and brakes, the rpm's were about 1,500..."

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w168...Limp+Home+Mode

"...ALL automatic transmissioned W140s have the limp home mode. It is a safety feature that freezes the transmission on 2nd gear when an electronic malfuntion occurs on the ASR/ESP or the transmission itself..."

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140...Limp+Home+Mode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in