Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

URGH!!! What is wrong w/ my 2002 C320??????

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Diesel Benz 
#1 ·
So, I have a 2002 C320. The power seats drain the battery so they are unplugged indefinitely. Recently, someone had to move the seats and forgot to unplug the power supply. Needless to say, the car died and when jump started the ESP light went on. I found out that the seats were plugged in and I unplugged them and the ESP light went off. I drove the car all day and it was fine. At the end of the night, the check engine light went on. Can that be related? Please help! Oh, btw... I will NEVER purchase another MB. It has too many electrical issues and what seems like the same issues across the board, from reading all the different blog entries. And, they continue to sell the vehicle on the market and make LOADS of money off our repairs! URGH!

Oh, and could this potentially be a costly issue? Not that I don't already have a strong feeling that it will be.

And also, can your car not start if you have to get your front and rear SAM replaced and ESP problems? Just wondering.

#2 ·
I can't say whether this is true for a 2002 C class, but it's definitely true for a 2002 CLK; Once you’ve drained or disconnected the battery, the windows, sunroof, radio, seats, and the ESP may all have to be reset. Turning the steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right will reset the ESP. Resetting the ESP should cause the BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp to go out.

You haven't said what’s wrong with the seats, just that they drain the battery. Is it the fore and aft power seat motor, the heating element, or something else? If it's the fore and aft power seat motor, the part on a CLK retails for $128. That's a little more than a battery, but not much. If that is the problem, why don’t you simply have it fixed? $128 plus an hour or so of labor is cheaper than buying a new battery (since it’s been drained more than once, I would replace it) AND paying for the seats to be fixed.

Best wishes on your repair.

#3 ·
I didn't know that....

Thanks... I don't have heated seats and I'm not too sure what the technical terms are of the seat motors but, from what was explained to me by my foreign cars mechanic, repairing the seats would be a total of $2000. However, I think I may go somewhere else for a second opinion now that you shed a new light to the situation. But, I still don't know why the check engine light went on.

Oh, and do I turn the wheel completely to the left then right when the engine is on?

Thanks for your input! It really helped a lot!

#5 ·
Oh, btw... I will NEVER purchase another MB. It has too many electrical issues and what seems like the same issues across the board, from reading all the different blog entries. And, they continue to sell the vehicle on the market and make LOADS of money off our repairs! URGH!

Oh, and could this potentially be a costly issue? Not that I don't already have a strong feeling that it will be.
Some MB models have a few too many, often well known electrical issues. I would still say that it isn't that much of a problem of the car but finding a good service shop with good personnel seems often too difficult. If all were like Streetglover, eric (many more attending the forum I could mention), the issues would get fixed without hassle and repeated workshop visits, often resulting to changing parts "as it turned out there was one more part that needs to be changed" even if only the last one would have been sufficient.

Once the main things have been fixed from the car, you should enjoy owning the car, not only driving the car. I hope you get your car fixed with a decent cost (should not expect equally low as for "basic" cars) and learn enjoying it, perhaps buying another MB after all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.