LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HELP! About to pull the trigger on CPO

I just put down a deposit on my first car, a pre-owned 2007 ML 350 I saw online. It is a 2007 ML 350 with 18,184 miles on it w/ certification. We're going to test drive and possibly take the car home on Monday....since I know very little about cars, I would love any opinions...

-Carfax shows a clean report. The only unusual thing was the car was registered as a corporate fleet vehicle. The service report says the car came from another MB dealership where according to the service mechanic that I interrogated (from the original dealership), it was test driven 5 times for 66 miles and driven by someone who works for MB dealership the rest of those 18,184. He surmised they were highway miles as the managers drove on the HW to get from dealership to corporate offices... Question: is there any reason I would not want a MB corporate car?

-We negotiated a price that is 3,000 below the Kelly Blue Book with all options considered and it is going to be certified. Does that raise any warning flags or is that within a normal price band?

-There is a rear entertainment system on the car. But it was installed at the dealership and not customized from the factory (since it was a dealer car). Isn't it preferable not to have after market electric work done and does anyone know whether this might be a problem on the ML 350?

-The car was listed as not certified on MB website...but was listed as certified on He said we could not take it home until Monday which made me wonder if he was going to certify it this weekend seeing as that was the first question I asked him when I called him up. Is this normal?

-The two services outside of normal campaigns performed on the car were listed as AIR WATER BOX CLOGGED and something about CONTROL UNIT GASOLINE these sound like serious repairs?

On the plus side, the car has all the options I want and the CPO warranty on this car would go until Feb 2012 since it was a dealer car and not considered sold until it was sold to this dealer so I have the original warranty + one year CPO warranty! Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Premium Member
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '91 420 SEL, '80 240D, '87 560 SL, '93 190E Sportline, '70 300 SEL 6.3
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Premium Member
If the Carfax is clean, good. Don't disect it! The price sounds great if it is at $3K below KBB. They are just a guide, by the way, and never buy or sell any vehicle. Sometimes they work in your favor. Certified will be applied at the time of purchase, so no worries there - it is a great program for you. All cars have repairs, those mentioned are minor.

No need to over-analyze. If you like the car and all the requirements have been investigated, buy it and be happy!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Sounds like a good deal, especially since you really know the history of the car. The CPO program is a great, low risk way to buy a used MB.

Depending on how long you plan to keep the car, consider paying to extend the warranty 1 or 2 years as needed. That way you can be covered completely up to 100K miles. Just something to consider.

Otherwise just do it! And enjoy it.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I bought my 2001 E320 as a CPO in 2006 and paid extra to extend to 24/100,000. That warranty has already paid for itself plus some. I'd advise anyone, if buying used, to get the MB factory-backed CPO warranty.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 02:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ilovepositano View Post
Question: is there any reason I would not want a MB corporate car?
There is one thing you may wish to consider doing; have the dealer ensure in writing that the vehicle you are buying has never been a press vehicle. I drive press cars and the "evaluation process" is not something I'd want done on a car I own. Other than that, CPO vehicles are fantastic.

The price shouldn't put you off. I paid several thousand dollars below KBB (below wholesale) at a Mercedes-Benz dealer for my CPO.

It really doesn't matter when the dealer certifies the vehicle, as long as it's done before you taken delivery. They may have delayed certifying the car because it actually costs the dealer money. It's a cost that they are passing on to you, but by delaying the certification, they don't have to pay for the float.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: