Are these rumours true? - Page 6 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 09:51 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2002 E320 sports limitted edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This consumer report magazine never gives the German cars very good ratings and not sure how many years they go back to do the ratings. All I know is a friend of mine has a 2006 E350 and in 2 years has put 80,000 miles on the car and so far hasn't had one issue. He has taken it in for all the regular maintenance required and drives a lot so I think for putting that many miles on the car in 2 years and no issues, then MB has started to do something right. So far everyone I know with the newer E class and S class haven't had the same sort of issues. I do think the 80,000 on the E350 speaks for itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 10:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: '98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TNTRower
Not having the Consumer Reports for previous years I can not speak to their bias or non-bias towards German cars. What I can say is that if you look at the E-Class for example, on the last page of the PDF you see the biggest gripes happening on the Climate System, Power Equipment, and Audio. I look at the forums and see a large body of traffic relating to those same problems AC fan regulator fan, CD Changer, Power Window Regulators just to name the big ones.

Engines are still a very big part of the MB mystique. They do keep going like the energizer bunny. The German engineering for engines has never been debated. I just wish they would actually look at how their vehicles are used in different markets. I look as simple things like cup holders. It is like Dr. Z was standing around with the other engineers slapping each other on the back when and Intern came up and said "But Dr. Z! What about cup holders for the Americans and their Fizzy Drinks?" To which Dr. Z responds "Ahh, we can make the Glove compartment hold a couple, but leave the light on so it will distract the driver, and we can engineer this incredibly complex piece of hardware so the Americans can spill their fizzy drinks on the Transmission selector housing and be forced to by more expensive electronic switches and boards!" Ja gut solution Herr Dr.

Who's John Galt.

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" - Virgil, The Aeneid, Book 2

If the Arabs put down their weapons today, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons today, there would be no more Israel. --Benjamin Netayahu
post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
A defect-free model year 2006 MB is a somewhat rare exception. But maybe the 2008's will be much more reliable.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
I guess it is poor form to quote oneself but some further info on MB as it relates to product testing by Consumer Reports. Latest Issue of April 2008 just got it yesterday.
Thanks,made a good read, It's abit of an eye opener,might look at the Mazda6.
post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 03:54 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: W215-CL500, W208-CLK320, W140-300SE
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The mazda as mentioned in the CR piece, has an unrefined engine, a sloppy transmission, is fuel thirsty and has a cumbersome turning radius. Do yourself a favor and forget the mazda and buy the Benz. There is no substitute for good taste and that is what Mercedes is all about. The tangible that goes against the notion of MB ownership is what some consider prohibitive cost. But that is to be expected of a premium marque, you have to pay to play. The nice thing about MB is the cars are an actual bargain relative to the rest of the offerings out there.
post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifari View Post
The mazda as mentioned in the CR piece, has an unrefined engine, a sloppy transmission, is fuel thirsty and has a cumbersome turning radius. Do yourself a favor and forget the mazda and buy the Benz. There is no substitute for good taste and that is what Mercedes is all about. The tangible that goes against the notion of MB ownership is what some consider prohibitive cost. But that is to be expected of a premium marque, you have to pay to play. The nice thing about MB is the cars are an actual bargain relative to the rest of the offerings out there.
Don't know who to listen to anymore, The Mazda was recommended ? Thought Mazda6's were quite technically advanced, shows what I know eh?!
post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 06:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2002 E320 sports limitted edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRower View Post
Not having the Consumer Reports for previous years I can not speak to their bias or non-bias towards German cars. What I can say is that if you look at the E-Class for example, on the last page of the PDF you see the biggest gripes happening on the Climate System, Power Equipment, and Audio. I look at the forums and see a large body of traffic relating to those same problems AC fan regulator fan, CD Changer, Power Window Regulators just to name the big ones.

Engines are still a very big part of the MB mystique. They do keep going like the energizer bunny. The German engineering for engines has never been debated. I just wish they would actually look at how their vehicles are used in different markets. I look as simple things like cup holders. It is like Dr. Z was standing around with the other engineers slapping each other on the back when and Intern came up and said "But Dr. Z! What about cup holders for the Americans and their Fizzy Drinks?" To which Dr. Z responds "Ahh, we can make the Glove compartment hold a couple, but leave the light on so it will distract the driver, and we can engineer this incredibly complex piece of hardware so the Americans can spill their fizzy drinks on the Transmission selector housing and be forced to by more expensive electronic switches and boards!" Ja gut solution Herr Dr.
All I can go by is people who have 2006,2007 E350 and none of these issues.
My good friend that has a 2006 and now 80,000 no issues is the real deal. He is trading it in for a 2008 next week. He has been very pleased with the car and said it was one of best MB's in recent years. I subscribe to this Consumers magazine and they go back 3-4 years is the last I heard. They have yet to release results for the newer MB's. My SA at Mercedes said they really started focusing on quality from 2006 to now. He said the worst years are 2003-2005 with many many issues and my 2002 E was more reliable then those newer years. The gear box is now encased in leather so no more worries about spilling drinks. Must be a German thing with the cup holders because the ones on BMW are also horrible and break all the time, I have to say I was impressed with my friends 2006 so far. 2 years many miles and still running great! I do think it helps to maintain it but all those other gremlins so far haven't surfaced.
post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbibaron View Post
All I can go by is people who have 2006,2007 E350 and none of these issues.
My good friend that has a 2006 and now 80,000 no issues is the real deal. He is trading it in for a 2008 next week. He has been very pleased with the car and said it was one of best MB's in recent years. I subscribe to this Consumers magazine and they go back 3-4 years is the last I heard. They have yet to release results for the newer MB's. My SA at Mercedes said they really started focusing on quality from 2006 to now. He said the worst years are 2003-2005 with many many issues and my 2002 E was more reliable then those newer years. The gear box is now encased in leather so no more worries about spilling drinks. Must be a German thing with the cup holders because the ones on BMW are also horrible and break all the time, I have to say I was impressed with my friends 2006 so far. 2 years many miles and still running great! I do think it helps to maintain it but all those other gremlins so far haven't surfaced.
End of the road for this generation of E-class so it should be reliable by now (or at least starting with 2006, 2007, 2008). The first few years of this generation had serious brake problems, etc.

Let's see what the new E class is like and if it is reliable, that's the next real test for MB. If it's anything like the engineering that went into the new C class, I'm betting it will be a huge improvement.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 12:21 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG-(19'inch Mandrus Millenium wheels),1998 Infinity I30
Regardless of it all. There is nothing like owning a MB. I still believe a pay for a name with so much behind it. It's not like buying the name of a pair of sneakers. They are one of the few cars that I enjoy driving, it's hard to get bored with it. And I buy a lot of cars. I've owned everything luxury. Even got bored with the Lexus, good car though. Quiet. Btw mazda isn't really a great alternative anyway. I'm almost sure ford transmissions are installed in them and we don't even need to get into that.

Ladies! My Mercedes! Holds 3 in the back, 2 if ya fat.
post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Unhappy My old W116

This turned into a rust bucket, I didn't want to go through all that again with a W210.

Last edited by flexy7; 03-07-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in