post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: {Black Prince}1979 300CD non-turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
gearhead looking 4 benz education info

ok so i need some information or a phone #, i live near columbus ohio and have been an avid wrench since i was 12. haven't had any formal mechanics education, but am positive i could pass the ase cert.I LOVE MB DIESELS and would be overjoyed to work on them professionally.So how and where do i go about becoming mercedes certified, at dealership level.Anything would be great thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There are a few MB techs on here better qualified than me to answer your question, but I'm 95% sure you would have to work for an MB dealership in order to attend the MB factory training sessions.

MBUSA (Mercedes-Benz USA) can be reached using 1-800-FOR-MERC and there are at least 2 dealerships in Columbus and 1 in Dayton.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 02-23-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 06:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
if you have automotive experience, walking into a benz dealer and applying is the first step. depending on what they are looking for, they may ask you to take a intro test or say they need someone with more benz experience or more auto experience. my dealer gives an intro test before someone is hired. me, i went to mercedes elite before i got into the dealer. i also attended 2 years of automotive training a year before that. been working on MB's ever since. you wont be able to go to elite unless you work for a dealer or are attending a tech school.

But i will be honest with you, find a different career. or do this while you go to school for something else. i say this because being a tech is not like it used to be. you can make good money but you have to put in long hours, and I mean long hours. if i were to start over, i would do something else. i work an average of 10-13 hrs a day during the week and 9 hrs on saturday. for an average pay period i make anywhere between 110-150 hrs. if i make 130-150 hrs it was a good 2 weeks.

anyway i keep doing it because i love working on cars and its the only job that i dont have to deal with managers all the time, i can listen to music while working, talk to coworkers, shoot the shit whenever i want.

Last edited by Streetglower; 02-23-2008 at 06:32 PM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: {Black Prince}1979 300CD non-turbo
(Thread Starter)
Thanks and i understand your concern but i live cars, its all i do anyway.I was actually thinking specializing in diesels.But i do have some issues i need to resolve first like my hatred of computers.But i figured a accredited auto tech school was my first move.Any one know of any in the central ohio area?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 07:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
at benz you use computers all the time. whether it be to look up instructions for replacing something or using it to help diagnosis a problem. but anyway check out UTI (universal technical institute), alot of people said they hated it, but for me it wasnt bad. if i wouldnt have taken it, i wouldnt have been where i am today. they even offer a diesel cource which includes diesel engines, transmissions, drive axles, electronics, fuel systems, etc...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 05:06 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
I made the wrong move by going to UTI and ELITE. I was diehard car guy like you. I wanted to do this everyday. Now I regret it. I spend 2 years at UTI taking thier regular course and Ford FACT. After, I got accepted to ELITE. Finish that. Started working in the field-Hated it. Now im Stuck, buying tools, being stinky, greasey, dirty, etc and getting paid jack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in