LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I'd like to hear what Kajtek1 says is his final conclusion too. One of his posts had the subject "FINAL CONCLUSIONS?" which to me (due to the ?) means he has not come to any final conclusion.

For me, and if we plan to keep our cars past 100,000 or so, I think a transmission service of some kind is better than nothing at all. People have written on other threads that even the dealers have changed their minds, but I think are advising a service at differing mileages. MB will never officially change their policy because that would expose them (I assume in the form of a class action suit) to paying for a lot of new or rebuilt transmissions for customers who "followed the rules" and did not service their trannys.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 01:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this has been a question for the ages, I have 68k on my mb and think its too soon to change the fluid, maybe at 100k but I want to have a backup plan like trading it in on another MB if things go south after the fluid change

Mod list:Carlssons front bumper, custom angel eye fogs, headlight rings, #1 pads, Eibach springs, Inmotion ECU tuning, chrome wheels, Illuminated door sills, in dash DVD and backup camera, complete audio system, AMG pedals, LED lights, Blk maple and chrome shift knob, blk maple center cover and door pulls, Zaino, H&R 10mm spacers, K&N filters, Magnaflow exhaust
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I probably won't get solid conclusion till I do the 172k transmission.
So following up on the 240k. As far as I can say the transmission was never serviced.
I followed up and cut the filter open. It shows some metal shavings, but they are non-ferrous -magnet is not picking them up. Looks like aluminum. The filter on the picture is pretty clean. I just let the oil drip from it so what you see is what it originally collected what is very little dirt. The next picture shows the new fluid after 100 miles. Evidently new fluid washed some dirt from hidden places in transmission on longer drive, since after just a test drive the fluid was way cleaner. Also the exchange had to come with lot of air bubbles that took some time to clear out. I had to add fluid 3 times on the first 20 miles.
At this point my satisfaction with the exchange dropped. The new fluid doesn't look much better than the old one. One more prove that you can't judge oil by its look. I like the result of putting lower-viscosity fluid, what makes the lower power diesel picking up faster, but other than lower viscosity, I don't see why the change would be needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	164239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	164240  

Last edited by Kajtek1; 02-23-2008 at 04:03 PM.
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Question Looks of oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
... One more prove that you can't judge oil by its look.
Did you save any of the old fluid so you could send a sample to a lab as I did to Blackstone a while back? The results were one of the posts on my "Email from MBUSA about transmission service".

post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
The results were one of the posts on my "Email from MBUSA about transmission service".
How DARE you send me on the search in 250 replies topic
It is on page 9.
Your results showed some metal in the fluid as well as overheating and blow by. Viscosity was tested normal. My visual inspection after 240k shows viscosity change, while very little mechanical residues. Don't think overheating and blow by applies to my car. Regardless recommendation for replacement, your fluid was showing contaminations well below universal averages on most of the points.
I still might send my sample, since the fluid is still in recycle bottles, but I already changed it, so what would be the point?

Last edited by Kajtek1; 02-23-2008 at 05:14 PM.
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Thumbs up Thank you Kajtek1

Quote:
How DARE you send me on the search in 250 replies topic
It is on page 9.
Your results showed some metal in the fluid as well as overheating and blow by. Viscosity was tested normal. My visual inspection after 240k shows viscosity change, while very little mechanical residues. Don't think overheating and blow by applies to my car. Regardless recommendation for replacement, your fluid was showing contaminations well below universal averages on most of the points.
I still might send my sample, since the fluid is still in recycle bottles, but I already changed it, so what would be the point?
LOL, sorry! I thought after posting that I should have copy/pasted a link to that one post. Thanks for looking it up, and giving us the page number.

I think you are correct with "what would be the point?" I wanted to know what my numbers were and as someone on that thread pointed out, Blackstone measures in PPM, and parts per million is a pretty darn small unit. We also agree that my numbers were not bad for 58,000 miles. It will cost you $20 plus shipping to Indiana but I thought that was worth it. On next oil change, I'm going to send a sample of that to them too, because you might remember my car uses oil so I want to look at metal content to see if rings or cylinder walls might be going bad . I don't know if they can evaluate valves based on metal content or other particulates.

post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Every test is subject to evaluation. I used Blackstone for testing oil on my motorhome.
With 26 quarts we are talking different kind of money here. It come with "no problems" evaluation, so I just spend money to confirm what I already knew
Testing oils can be very helpful when they find silica (sand) in your oil, what will tell you that you have leaks in the air filtering system.
Than you didn't notify Blackstone what MB requirements are for the oil, so their opinion is based on comparing what.... exactly ???
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
...Than you didn't notify Blackstone what MB requirements are for the oil, so their opinion is based on comparing what.... exactly ???

I talked to the lab tech who personally ran my sample but I cannot remember touching on the answer to your question. I think they compare your sample with all of the other samples they have run, and if they are doing their job correctly, should have obtained some parameters directly from Daimler.

However, remember we are dealing with a murky issue here: MBUSA continues to state that we do not need to service the 722.6 transmissions so what numbers are they willing to provide an independent lab, if they are willing to give them anything?

If you are referring to motor oil, MBUSA should be very willing to provide those paramters until they decide our motor oil is lifetime too

post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
With 26 quarts we are talking different kind of money here.
Their sample bottles only hold I think 4 oz. but I think they require 2 oz. for testing.

post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
Their sample bottles only hold I think 4 oz. but I think they require 2 oz. for testing.
Making fun of me???
When replacing big amount of oil you will be willing much faster to spend $25 on oil testing, than while replacing $40 of oil. Big engines like in ships change the oil based on testing only. With thousands of $$$ cost that is the only making sense. MB engines in our cars supposable have oil testing sensor. I am skeptic about it, but that is what the hotline says.
What I was getting at test evaluation to was, that the Blackstone recommendation for fluid change was based on higher than "usual" insolubles. But they based their averages on all fluids they test and have no idea what MB requirements are. Maybe MB have a feature allowing much more insolubles than other cars? Judging from their lifetime recommendation they definitely have some edge here.
Bottom line, you wouldn't take advice from Chevy, or Jeep owner how to drive your Mercedes, would you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in