I lost 60% on an A160 to a rust defect they refused to fix - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I lost 60% on an A160 to a rust defect they refused to fix

One of the first ever to buy a Mercedes Benz A160 in Australia in February 1999 as a gift for my wife on the birth of our daughter and this is what I get (see pics). The rust first appeared after 4 years. Mercedes Benz Service, Sydney, told me it was not their problem as the vehicle was out of warranty. They refused to negotiate any options. I was furious having no option but to accept their refusal to acknowledge [their] substandard manufacturing and to remedy the problem.

The most I have been offered for the car is $4000. I saw some on-line for around $10,000. My one 65,000km, the advertised one, 125,000km, otherwise the same, Classic A160. Also wrong with the car: intermittent power steering, permanently on bright lights, gear box trouble, other bits of rust around the car, severely worn interior - even though only 65,000km and local use, smelly air conditioning, tight key turn to open doors/start car.

I took the car to two smash repairs for a quote to fix it before sale. Both advised me it was not worth it and to take the $4,000 and run.

It seems this generation can expect a lot less from a brand and service
that claims to be the best of the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01022008(006).jpg
Views:	665
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	160867   Click image for larger version

Name:	01022008(001).jpg
Views:	299
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	160868   Click image for larger version

Name:	01022008(008).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	160869   Click image for larger version

Name:	01022008(010).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	160870  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 07:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Terrible! And I thought your country was hot and dry - apparently not.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
If I was at the dealer, I would have claimed the driver hitting the paint with the fuel pistol, causing the water passing the protective paint.

If I was the owner, I would have complained immediately when the rust appeared below the paint, when it still would have been easy to show that the car had not been hit by the fuel pistol or anything else. I'm sure this was the case. The high loss of value to me is not from MB not fixing the car (that did cause a small value loss). The big one was from the owner not fixing it even if MB should have done it.

If it first was visible after 4 years, I don't understand why it was not fixed 5 years ago.

Now it is like the owner had neglected taking care of the car. Difficult to take a hard position against one or the other.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 08:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
When was the last time you waxed your A160?.. Answer = Never !!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 01:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Lecours View Post
When was the last time you waxed your A160?.. Answer = Never !!
How could know the answer to that? And, what would be the relevance?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 02:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
If you wax the car you see the start of rust and you address it right away.
That rust hasn't been touched ever!
Where I live that kind of rust is a daily occurrence.
You take care of it long before it gets to that stage or your car rusts away really quickly.
The rust started on the seam inside that cover where the filler cap body meets the outer skin. It started years ago with small bubbles and blisters and could have been stopped then. At this stage the whole area has to be cut out and replaced. Other seams are possibly rusting on that car also.

Last edited by DEVOURS; 02-04-2008 at 02:50 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 03:51 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It looks like a severely beat on A class that it's owner has neglected to put any money into. That type of rust doesn't just APPEAR overnight....come on! I bet it started rusting in the warranty period. The other things you mention are also DIRECTLY related to maintenance . You sound like someone who thinks a car takes no maintenance. You just jump in and use it everyday. Has the oil ever even been changed on this car? It looks like a neglected wreck on wheels. I'm surprised someone would offer you even 4 grand for it in that horrible condition.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 06:01 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '79 450 SLC
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to B-McD
There's two pics of the fuel flap, one of the VIN and one of the speedo. Its a pretty big assumption to say its 'never been waxed' and is 'severely beat'. And you have to understand this was still a premium car, well over $30,000 when new. And he did say that he noticed the rust after 4 years which would've only been a small bubble at the time and he did go to the dealer. I doubt he started to complain when the rust was in this state.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Lose of 60% would have been 59% otherwise...

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2008
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thank you for all your interest. Allow me to clarify some points raised:

The car was parked 6km from the beach, outdoors for the first 3 years. Thereafter it was garaged 1km from the ocean at a different location.

I do not believe the car was knocked by the fuel pump nozzle. I could not be the only person to have ever done such a thing - surely one would expect to see the same type of rust on thousands of cars if that were possible?

The car was only waxed maybe once a year. But there is no stipulation from M-Benz that if one were not to wax the vehicle one should expect it to rust.

The moment the rust was discovered, appearing first as a small bubble in one small area, I took the car in to the service centre. I was told it was to be expected being parked next the coast and that it was not M-Benz responsibility to repair it. I contended that it was a manufacturing defect and not a coastal parking issue as there are millions of M-Benz's parked near the coast that show no evidence of corrosion even after 10 or 20 years. They took a dim view of my assertions and left me to deal with it myself.

The reason the vehicle was not repaired is because I was quoted over $1500 and as I was planning on selling the car I realised I could either lose money paying for repairs or the sale. I decided not to bother with it and lose money on the sale. My wife asked me to keep the car and we did, never expecting the rust to become so bad. I just thought I would sell it a few years later and lose maybe $2000 on it, writing it off to bad luck. Maybe that was a bad decision but in my opinion doesn't negate MB's responsibility. The fact is that repairing a small area or the entire area costs about the same anyway.

The car was serviced whenever the service lights came on. The mechanical faults I refer to have appeared in the last 6 months, pretty simultaneously.

It's rather amusing that MB Warranty provides for defects in material or workmanship for 48 months or 50,000 miles. My car has done just 65000km, well under the warranty limit - but their argument is that it was not caused by them and therefore they are not at fault.

Last edited by rustybenzz; 02-04-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: didnt finish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in