LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 12:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: see signature
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Tee
A guy I know bought a brand new 1960 220 S when in Germany, picked up at the factory.

It was so unreliable (especially the carb) that he dumped it in 6 months. So it wasn't all wine and roses in the "good old days". I told him he should have paid a little more and sprung for the Einspritzer (220 SE) which was of course fuel injected

2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200 5 speed
2006 smart BRABUS Tailor Made Canada 1 cdi cabriolet
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 5 speed, for the kids
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupť Injection, restoration underway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:37 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2002 C240W
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Promises and Pitfalls

I trust that by now (late February) M Morgan has made a decision. For what it's worth, I'll add a couple of observations:

1. I bought a CPO 2002 C240W from a nearby dealer in May of 2006. It was off lease, so it had about 36,000 miles. I got a good deal, paying about $23,000 for a car that listed for $40,000 new.

2. My general observation is that the dealer service department did more harm than good every time I returned the car to them.

--the shifter sometimes doesn't "click," allowing removal of the key. The dealer responded to this by replacing the ignition switch. Not only has the (minor) problem persisted, but he failed to reprogram all the car's accessories, necessitating a 40-mile return trip.

--I have come to accept the occasional electronic glitch as "normal." At one point, I got a Brake Assist System/Electronic Stability Program warning (always together). The dealer replaced the power brake booster, but the warning still occasionally reappears. I can attest from two months of driving on the sheet ice that frequently coats our Iowa roads this winter that the ESP works, warning or no warning.

3. Though both of these were "fixed" under warranty, I have concluded that the dealer's principal goal is to maximize his income from service work. When he was charging M-B it was one thing. Now that the car is out of warranty, it's another. During the switchover from analog to digital with Tele-Aid, my dealer wanted 20-25% more than another dealer. This is corporate greed, and it is made worse by the fact that the selling dealer was purchased by a conglomerate a year after I bought the car.

The lessons? Buy a CPO Mercedes (much cheaper than a new one). As soon as the CPO warranty runs out, find an independent service garage. I got lucky. Don't panic over the electronic stuff. Drive the car as much as possible--that's what it was built for. Keep the car maintained, but don't obsess about it. Enjoy the car's superior sense of safety and control and wonderful highway performance! Pastor Gene
post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 12:24 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 190SL
Very thoughtful advise.

Service departments vary like the wind.

The older the Mercedes Dealer the better the service unless it is a corporate chain.

Independent shops are great if you can find one in your area that is a good one.

Join the MB USA Club and ask fellow members what they recommend.
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 03:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Hey I think you are right.

I've had two Mercs (Basic entry level.. A and B...I just can't afford an E or even a C class) and after buying this second one, a B200T I've made myself the question, but only once I paid for the toy....¿Why a Benz is better? My answer is that no benz is better than a Honda (I had one and NO complaints) or a Toyota (same)....but I don't know... I just dont like jap cars...Perhaps I just don't like their funny Godzyla-bug-grasshopper-pagoda looking (specially fron the rear). Os the sound when you close door and hood?...the sitting position? The plastic all around? the fact they simply do not break? My God.....who runs their design departments ¿¿Atila??

I dont like Ford because....just because...I dont know..... I've had Fairmont (great cheap car....no malfunctions...thirsty...strong brute, reliable, and thirsty...) Fiesta....gas saver, reliable, reliable, reliable.... Mondeo (had a major breakdown.....just blew off)

Chrysler? no, thanks. I better go to the bus stop and pay for my ride.

GM.... Celebrity....Nice looking... very comfortable...... a piece of crap CRAP (I get angry just to remember)
Blazers (2) Pieces of crap...one just broke down severly twice...the other a piece of crap too.....Maybe too much bad luck

Peugeot Nice ride and looking(PIECE OF CRAP since new. Please don't even dare to look at them!!)
Renault.... Reynolds wrap is stronger!!!!

Mercedes..why Mercedes? Classy? yes, Nostalgic because father had one for ages? yes... Do I like the sound of the car? yes... overall looking? yes....( Ups. the cost of everything related is just to drop dead) ... In conclusion is a mixture of feelings....sometimes I feel stupid for having one (they think I own it just to show off I can pay the car and repair shop bills....maybe.....) ... Finally I'm learning. I am 47 and have had more than 15 cars...I've spent too much on wheels during my life...and maybe I should not be so proud for driving my three star- full of history car (MB?: the first real working car ever made... a car Hitler had many --those beautiful black enormous cars you see in Nazi parades in History Channel-- ...the Pope rides one...; the 1938 540 Kompressor;Juan Manuel Fangio; the 300SL Gullwing; the Panamerican race of the 50's; the looking of that MB190 1960 little sporty grey car my uncle had under black canvas and never drove just to keep it 100%...; the fact that I still don't know a real ugly MB ever designed, the badge... the detailed and beautifully printed Owners guide....their handling....they way I just leave others biting dust behind (Yes, many, many cars do that better but none with more class)...the way everything looks once you open the hood,) Hey: those guys really love to make their cars, and I can feel it ....

Last edited by jomoto; 03-17-2008 at 03:50 AM.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 06:43 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2005 Benz SLK 32 AMG
Send a message via AIM to RUF NEK Send a message via MSN to RUF NEK Send a message via Yahoo to RUF NEK
3 Letters....

post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 04:59 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2007 S63 AMG, 2007 C300
From "S63 Burnout" (one of my past posts).
Here are my thoughts, dont buy a $145,000.00 car.

So we have (AT Autosport) has an S63 AMG that we got for R&D to program modules integrated into the Mercedes-Benz computer to do a number of things that are pretty damn cool...
Dont get me wrong, its a pretty cool car but I would call it useless. A total lemon (that we are going to try to lemon law).
Its been into Mercedes-Benz 4 times for completely shutting down on the freeway at 80mph, serious. For the $145,000.00 that we paid for it... I have only driven it 2 times. Luckly for us we didnt need to be driving it to test out our electronics, but to say the least I was pretty disapointed.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 06:16 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Consider how mercedes treats customers

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204...highlight=c300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in