Thinking of buying a Benz, any advice? - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: '74 230ce, '83 230e, '83 190e
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bite the bullet, get the best pre 1984 model you can, probably a w123. Before this year Mercs were bulletproof luxery. They are easy to work on and from experience spares are very resonable. You'll have to get the bushes changed regularly and keep the rust from the wheel arches. Seems you dont have to drive very far everyday, so fuel economy of older models not such an issue [actually they are very economic considering their size etc] especially with fuel half the price in US that it is in UK. Try a classic, smell the old Merc interior and shut the door... clunk. Class. As for modern Mercs i have no interest. I find them charmless. Either you want to drive a real Mercedes or have a generic silver Euro saloon with all the extortionate servicing/spares/insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
I loved my W123 regardless lack of airbags, ABS, non working cruise control and faded interior.
What made me getting rid of it were constant oil leaks. I can't in my neighborhood have dripping car. After fixing about 14 leaks, I finally gave up. New gasoline wagon had better economy than the old diesel. With double horsepower.
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wevrick View Post
No car is an investment, except maybe a few collectibles. Our car had all the required maintenance done religiously, and I have full records. Nonetheless it has had repeated failures of all sorts of parts: airmatic, ignition switch, battery, etc, etc. None of the failures were even on parts that require maintenance. They failed because they were poorly designed and/or built. There is really no other explanation.
Thats very true, I have rather limited knowledge of late model vehicles. Howerver there was a time when Mercedes was unlike any other car in the world. It is sad to see such a brand tarnished by silly failures. Look at other car manufactures today, they are plagued by the same problems. When I say investment though, I am not refering towards monetary or appreciative investment. I am refering towards and investment in longevity. The world of carmaking has gone to the shits, and to the full extent the consumers are to blame. Carmakers have realized that no one except a select few keep cars for a long period of time. What is the incentive to build cars that last 20 years when people are only going to get rid of them in 3. This is a wasteful, and silly practice, but on the other hand it is quite profitable.

So when I say words like investment, and longevity, put them in context to the world we are in now, not the world of 1990. All cars have issues these days, BMW's and there post warranty failures, Porsches are the same. This is mostly to due with the adoption of variable mile synthetic oil changes, and planed obsolesce. Companies have geared up to sell hard parts, and force you out of your vehicle after 4+ years. No where did I say a Mercedes would be cheap to maintain nor would you not have problems, However if you wish to keep a vehicle for a extend period of time these days there are steps that you must take, careful maintainace is one of them. Of course maintaince will have no impact on electronics, but name a vehicle today that dosen't have electrical issues. A Mercedes at its basic core is safe, painted with quality, and to some extent built with some pride. Not many other automakers today can say the same.
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 03:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2003 S500 4MATIC
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^^Lexus manages to built very reliable cars despite having all sorts of fancy bells and whistles. And supposedly the newer Benzes are back up to the old standards. So it is possible ...

"Mercedes: Expensive and Built to Stay That Way"
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wevrick View Post
^^Lexus manages to built very reliable cars despite having all sorts of fancy bells and whistles. And supposedly the newer Benzes are back up to the old standards. So it is possible ...
Possibly the 2008's MB's have robust electrical systems, we can only hope.

I know 2001-2006 electricals were crap by industry standards.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 04:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 190SL
2006 - 2008 product reliability has improved dramatically. I have the opportunity to review complete service records on dozens of pre-owned Mercedes every week and there is a significant difference in length of record as you go back in model years. The C and E 2004-05’s are pretty good too.

I know of a nice 2006 E350 4MATIC that is available.
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMB View Post
2006 - 2008 product reliability has improved dramatically. I have the opportunity to review complete service records on dozens of pre-owned Mercedes every week and there is a significant difference in length of record as you go back in model years. The C and E 2004-05’s are pretty good too.

I know of a nice 2006 E350 4MATIC that is available.
Mediocre compared to competition, but improved compared to MB's a few years back. E-class brakes in the 2004/2005 range have a troubling history.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 09:02 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2007 CLK 550
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
New here myself and toying with going for a MB in the 2003-2005 year range.Been looking at both the E's and S's would ideally like something under 35K on it(miles) and figure I can go $35-37K.Have a Lexus (05 RX330) not perfect but with the exception of a front brake issue has been reasonable to own ( I go the DIY route on instead of the $175 oil changes at the Lexus dealer and have the TM dealer do the brakes).
After reading these threads with ele issues and other problems I am wondering if I should just go for a 04-05 LS430 (like the interior and ride but the MB S class looks much better to me)
Are these MB's on the 04-05 range really better to stay away from?
thanks
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 09:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: C320 4matic
Buy a Mercedes & enjoy the ride. You just need to take car of your car and you shouldn't experience many problems. As far as maintence it is a little costly, (ex. $200 for oil/filter service) but I LOVE MY CAR and work hard for it.

BTW ... buy a 4matic, I did just for the peace of mind. I didn't want any problems getting to work in bad weather. I mean you need to get to work to pay the bill right?

post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 10:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2007 CLK 550
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't know if I will go for the 4matic iif I go MB instead of Lexus,I have the RX330 and a Jeep for when it snows(pretty much Oct-April here!)
A couple questions about options
I noticed that heated seats are not on all the S (or the E's for that matter) and that standard on the LS (and the RX) what package should I look for to be sure it has heated seats?
Also noticed the wood wheel treatment is not on many of the S's(again or the E's) where it has been on all the Lexus's for a few years.What package does that require?
Also are all the steering wheels power tilt telescoping like the Lexus in the the S's and E's?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in