Girl needs help with '95 S320 Transmission - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Karen Koch View Post
She has 108K miles but I think she looks pretty good. I was also wondering if there was a special edition in the S320 that year because I've never seen another one of these with the rear parking guide rods and saddle interior. I'll try to figure out how to upload pics.
While it not ultra low mileage, its not high or even average. It's low. The car does appear to be in very good condition. If you haven't seen another 92-95 S class with rear parking rods, then you aren't looking. They were standard on every single S class between those years. First generation Parktronic became an option in 96, thus the parking rods disappeared with the face lift in 96. That interior color was not a popular option, but not limited by Mercedes, only by consumers who didn't want it.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1995 S320
(Thread Starter)
WHAT IT COST: The code was PO1700 transmission code. When the tech got to looking at it, he discovered my oil leak.

I’ve had this particular leak for some time, maybe a year, but my previous mechanic said not to worry about it is long as it was so small. For the time being, it was more a nuisance than a problem. The small drop of oil appearing overnight was getting worse in recent months or maybe it just seemed that way because I hadn’t wiped up the garage floor since Thanksgiving. This new mechanic, Ned, didn’t want to work on the transmission without dealing with the leak too. He simply felt I wouldn’t be satisfied. It think it had more to do with his pride of workmanship, i.e., he didn’t want to do one thing well and leave something else in such obvious need of attention. (Lucky me! These types of pros are such a great find.)

The engine oil leak was coming from the Timing Chain area evoking the oft-heard refrain, “It’s not an expensive part it’s just HARD TO GET TO.” I hate that. “It’s hard to get to.” One hears that a lot with these cars. He also kept Stella overnight. He wanted the gaskets to seal well before he finished with transmission service.

He cleaned the transmission valve body twice, once yesterday and once this morning. He said it was very dirty (my last transmission service was 7/05) and full of metal shavings and fiber, likely from the clutch. However, this morning, Ned announced that the Transmission Valve Body is “perfect.” He suggested that I stay away from the lower gears to take it easy on the clutch.

Grinning ear to ear, I said, “Well I guess the next thing to worry about will be the engine wiring harness?” Ned reported that he had wrapped taped around parts of it to ward off exposed wires. This got another big grin from me and I shook that guy’s dirty hand with pleasure. (I wanted to hug him.) So here’s the bottom line.

The cost of the diagnostic was $100 discounted to $40.
Transmission service: cleaning, fluid, conditioner, filter - $206
Oil Change: 10W30 GT-1 high mileage with seal max, filter - $54
Timing Parts: Valve cover gasket set, R&R timing chain tensioner rail, timing cover gasket set with tensioner seals (Labor was $675) - $812
R&R Valve cover gasket - $127
Shop Supp - $25 (I don’t know what this is)
Tax - $82

TOTAL $1,346.

So…how did I do?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 02:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2004
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
It sounds like you did OK. Hard to know exactly what all he did. Upper timing chain cover is not that big a job but perhaps he did the upper and lower. In any case getting out of there without a new transmission, head gasket or wiring harness is a victory of sorts. My guess would be that if he did all that work without ruining the wiring harness it's already been replaced.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2006
Glad you are keeping Stella alive, she is well worth it. These cars if maintained will go a very long time. Not unusual to see them with 300K and more miles in Europe.

Every time I press the button and the engine starts to roar, I know I have been blessed !
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: