Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 2002 C230 Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question SRS Light... control module?

Hello,

Last friday, my SRS warning light came on while I was driving. I sent it to the stealer immediately. The next day, the stealer called and told me that the seat buckle needed to be replaced due to a malfunctioning sensor. It cost me$410 to replace the seat belt buckle. OUCH!

Right after I picked up my car, 15 minutes later, the SRS light came on again. I went back to the stealer the next day. I just got a call from them, now they are telling me that I need to replace the SRS control Module, which will cost $1200 total.

BTW, the first time the SRS light came on, it showed 1 fault on the screen. AFter the stealer replaced the buckle, I noticed that when the SRS light came on, it is showing 2 fault.

Please HELP! I feel like I am getting ripped off!!!!!!
I am even more afraid if I pay the additional amount, they will come back and tell me it is something else and ask for more money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 03 S500/99 SL600/94 S320-sold/86 560sl-sold/87 560sl-sold/87 560sec-sold/88 300E-sold/88 420SEL-sold
1. Sounds like they replaced the seat belt buckle when it probably wasn't broke. Generally, the SRS light will go out two or three minutes after you start the car if the problem is with a seat belt. If that wasn't happening, it probably wasn't related to the seat belt.

2. After they give you your money back, thank them very much and buy what you need from a junk yard or ebay and DIY.

I have had eight Mercedes. All it took was one trip to the stealer about 15 years ago. I haven't been back since and hope I never have to grace their doorstep again. I didn't really have to then, but I didn't know any better. I learn quick though.

I just checked ebay and while auction # 160134307320 may not be quite right for your car, it puts things in perspective. $34.99 or best offer sure beats $1200. Of course, as you can see in the auction, they do have to remove and reinstall three screws in addition to disconnecting and reconnecting a wiring connector.

Judging by the part number, the one on ebay may not be specific to any one model. You may want to check out that part number and see if it would work for you.

I don't know what chassis a 2002 C230 is, but I just did a little more research and it shows that the one currently on ebay is for W140, W202, W208, R170 Chassis.

Last edited by asodergren; 01-23-2008 at 10:01 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2000 Clk430
had the same light, it was a fuse.. hope that wasnt your problem
#4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 03 S500/99 SL600/94 S320-sold/86 560sl-sold/87 560sl-sold/87 560sec-sold/88 300E-sold/88 420SEL-sold
You may want to try MyAirbags - SRS Module Repair - after accident $55 - CRASH DATA It looks like they may repair the module for $85 (their ebay price for working on newer Mercedes modules, auction # 110216927364).

Also, I see auction # 320211283424 is for a 00-02 S500 module. Since the year is right, it may well fit your car. The part number is 028 500 12 15. The price is $150.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 10:51 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 2002 C230 Black
(Thread Starter)
Hi all, especially asodergren,

Thank you for the fast response.
The problem is I am not sure whether it is my SRS module malfunctioning. I also heard that it could either be a wire that connects the airbag to the ECU or the clock spring. I seriously have no clue. So, the best thing I can do is, ask the stealer to refund my money and go to an indy shop.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz SLK230
Send a message via Yahoo to ringo3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack21 View Post
Hi all, especially asodergren,

Thank you for the fast response.
The problem is I am not sure whether it is my SRS module malfunctioning. I also heard that it could either be a wire that connects the airbag to the ECU or the clock spring. I seriously have no clue. So, the best thing I can do is, ask the stealer to refund my money and go to an indy shop.
Do you have this resolved? I am having same issue.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 10:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: Proton Saga BLM
Send a message via MSN to jrkong Send a message via Skype™ to jrkong
it could be:
1.the connectors underneath the seat
2.the connectors at the seat buckle.
3.the steering wheel contact.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 01:33 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
Cool Just came through this one

First of all, The SRS system is a safety system that controls the air bags and seat belts. When that light is on, they are not. Also, air bags are dangerous to work with, but almost never have a problem.

Next, go to a good indy and have the codes read, they will tell you exactly what the problem is, most will do this free or at a low price.

The usual problems are seat sensor or belt sensor. The control module almost never fails.

If the seat senor is bad ( most common fault ) search on srs and find my picture step by step post on replacing this for less than 200$US. EVERY simple diy.

If the belt sensor(s) is bad replace same for less than 100$US. Again, very simple diy.

The control module will reset itself if these are the faults and you are done.

If indeed you have a bad srs control, or air bag, or belt tensoner, you should know that there is a risk of firing these during service which is not good at all. If anyone has experience here PLEASE POST it. I saw an s-class that went over a curb and fired ALL airbags, the interior was just destroyed and cost thousands to repair.

Hope this helps.

B

The finest example of automobile engineering in the world
Floats like a CADI
Stings like a BMR
Stingy as a Prius
and.... all Mercedes Benz.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 01:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: CLS550 Master Lease, 1990 300zxTT, 2000 camry
Hey dont go looking for any problems just yet. You said you saw 1 code the first time your brought the car in and 2 codes the second time. Could you please list what those codes were, the exact text and fault#? I will try to help you as much as possible.

On a second note. I currently work at an MB dealer and I have to say I am sorry to all of you who have had a bad experience with your dealer. But I have never sold anyone work that they did not need. I have never tried to take advantage of any customer. I always try to do the best job I can and have even done many jobs for free because they were safety related and the customer couldnt afford the work. So PLEASE do not assume everyone at the "Stealer" is out to rip you off.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 104,000+
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle21nluvnit View Post
...I currently work at an MB dealer and I have to say I am sorry to all of you who have had a bad experience with your dealer. But I have never sold anyone work that they did not need. I have never tried to take advantage of any customer. I always try to do the best job I can and have even done many jobs for free because they were safety related and the customer couldnt afford the work. So PLEASE do not assume everyone at the "Stealer" is out to rip you off.
I'd like to ditto this.

My dealer has been very easy to work with, has always done a competant job and they treat me with respect. I have even met the owner and he has always seemed polite and accomodating.

I don't know if I can conclude that a nice owner correlates with a nice dealership, but it certainly seems that way. After reading the numerous dealer complaints on here, I feel quite fortunate.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.