Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hood Emblem Star or Flat Grill Star...What is your favorite?

31K views 39 replies 35 participants last post by  garyknutson 
#1 ·
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but:

So, I have noticed that a lot of people with Mercedes Sedans on these forums (E-class, C-class, S-class) like to remove the hood emblem and replace it with a flat grill star (like the Benz coupes).

Personally, I don't really understand this, because I absolutely LOVE the hood emblem. I enjoy looking at it in the front of my Benz while driving.

My next Mercedes will be a w219 CLS or w212 E-class in a few years, and if I end up getting a CLS, I might actually try and find a mod to place the hood emblem on it (might look bad on a CLS though).

Which do you prefer?

#2 ·
A lot of people are putting flat badges for a cleaner look. I personally love the classy look of the hood ornament. Nothing beats going down the highway on a warm, sunny afternoon in the luxury and comfort of your Mercedes-Benz and staring down the road and seeing the hood ornament to remind you what "it" is all about.

I think the hood ornament on a CLS would look terrible. It was designed for a different look with a different grille styles from the other sedans. The W212 should still have the hood ornament though.

#5 ·
Good question... in 2001 I was working at a restaurant and went out to my car late at night and noticed someone tried to steal it..it was just hanging like a busted limb. I replaced it with another hood emblem. But at the time didn't even think of replacing it with a flat star but wished I did. I was lucky and haven't had a problem since but I think some people worry about people trying to rip them off or have had the experience.

For the cost to replace it with a hood emblem I would replace it again with one if this one were stolen. Just hope it doesn't happen.

#7 · (Edited)
I prefer the large in the grill badge. The newer aggressive front lines work well with the more visible larger badge.
The hood star works perfectly well with the more conservative classic shapes of the past.

The shame of having the beautiful hood star, is that too often our young delinquents rip it off and you're stuck with the bill.

#12 ·
I always thought that sedans looked better with the hood star and the coupes/roadsters looked better with the flat one.

#13 ·
I tended to agree in the past, but now I like the sport sedans and SUVs with grill mounted flat one. Standup hood ornament is starting to feel old school.

#19 ·
I really like the large grill badge on the newer mbs but i gotta tell ya... when im driving my car and thinking about day to day shit and stress and whatever it is thats going on that day. Sometimes i glance down for a sec and see that hood mb star and think...damn i gotta nice car! seems a little funny but its true haha:p

#20 ·
I love the star. One its looks good. Two its a gunsight - when a tool drives at you with headlights on full and wont dip, I know i can line up the middle of the star on the outside edge of the road and my tyres are 18'' (foot and a half) from the edge of the road. If I line up the drivers edge of the star on the edge of the road, im 12'' from the edge. I have used this a few times on windy roads when people drive at you with spotties on and your virtually blinded looking forward.

#22 ·
Great Tip and Point.

Very good point and tip. You just changed my mind about removing my standing star and replacing with a chrome plug or flat emblem. My w124 has the large star in the grill already and I thought it was too much to have both, not anymore.
Thanks!

PS: I realize how old this thread is, but still applies today.

#21 ·
i decided to keep the hood ornament. the way i see it has a lot behind it. it makes a statement,and the history the company has. i agree it looks great on the sedans, but as far as coupe's go unless its less modern than the CLS in design they are better with flat badges and sport grilles.

#23 ·
The large grille badge adds a lot to the look of the vehicle - it's one of the reasons I like the look of the old SEC, and I'm glad the former owner of my 2.6 went to the expense of doing the SEC bonnet conversion. Not to mention that the grille star seems to be less of a target for vandals.

That said, when I am driving my 2.6 I miss the view of the star when driving. Hard decision!

#24 ·
STAR ON THE HOOD IS THE BEST

I think the Star on the hood is the best on sedans i love it on the W220 S Class. The one in the grill is nice on the new C cause it gives it a very aggresive look but on some other SUVs they look horrible. They are very big. Also the Star on the hood is known world wide its a trademark for Benz. If you go anywhere people will recognize that you are in a Mercedes Benz.

#25 ·
I just had my star forcibly removed from the hood of my '06 E320 CDI. The moron who ripped it off managed to put three large scratches on around the mount in the process. So I will investigate the removable star or just put a flat round logo in place of the star ornament. I will definitely miss the star on the hood though.

#30 ·
Yeah, that's exactly what led me to go flat (well, they didn't steal it, apparently someone disturbed them but they tried as it was all askew and they damaged the hood paint), so I ordered the one from the SLK and figured out how to mount it without the ebay kit. It looked okay, but I didn't like how it sat up on the hood.

So after the SLK badge started fading, I made my own which is in the picture below. To the left of it in the first picture you can see the gouge in the paint left by the would-be star thieves. Since it uses part of the original hood ornament, it fits perfectly in the dimple and doesn't sit up.

I do miss the star, but not enough to have the hood further damaged.

#31 ·
No one has tried to steal my emblem yet, not in a big city like Vancouver for over a year and not even in a smaller town for about a year. Maybe they won't but should I take the chance of having it look nice with the normal emblem or save myself the hassle and just get the flat badge?

I live in Vancouver so I'd probably have to order one of those in or something right?

#32 ·
Hi All - I had a choice of a 2012 C180 Classic and C180 Avant Garde but chose the Classic because I prefer the star on the hood ( the Avant Garde was on the grille )
Now it seems that ALL new MB's are coming out with stars on the grille - result is my car is starting to look old and outdated!!
Question - does MB still bring out new models with the star on the hood, or am I now destined to drive an " old " Merc???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.