maintenance costs - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 10:33 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2008 ML350 4matic EDIT10N black/macadamia/black, 2007 C230 white/ash
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never had a single problem when I take my cars to a Jiffy Lube for just an oil change. $95 bucks for the same oil change is just rediculous. And wanting to save money on maintaning our MB does not mean we are cheap. Being able to afford these cars does not mean you have to spend like crazy. Some people like myself are able to afford 2 MB because we are smart with our money.

Currently Own:
2007 C230 white/ash
2008 ML350 Edit10n black/macadamia/black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by masoncop View Post
I've never had a single problem when I take my cars to a Jiffy Lube for just an oil change. $95 bucks for the same oil change is just rediculous. And wanting to save money on maintaning our MB does not mean we are cheap. Being able to afford these cars does not mean you have to spend like crazy. Some people like myself are able to afford 2 MB because we are smart with our money.
The people who work at Jiffy Lube as so called 'mechanics' are also generally idiots. I would never recommend anyone bring a nice vehicle to any of these quick lube places. Jiffy Lube, among others quick lubes, have been sued numerous times for their lack of ability to actually change the oil and filter or for their failure to screw on the filter or breaking other parts while they are in doing their work.
Nate D. Rector likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 12:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 03SL55AMG,2008 F430spider
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsu View Post
I'm looking into purchasing an 08 C Class and never owned a MB. Just wondering what is the average oil change, maintenance cost for driving a MB. I do a lot of driving daily for work, so will reach mileage quickly. Thanks.

Of all the models MB has ,the C class is the best and least expensive to maintain...yes a typical oil change will cost you...service A toal labor and parts 147.85 as done on my c320 4matic july 2007...mb battery cost $149.00...flex B service total labor and parts $470.00 at 60000 miles...hope this gives you some idea

vijay
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
As someone above said your dealer is the best place to start for details on service intervals and approximate costs. I think the new C-class is going to be very reasonable for MB service based on what I've heard and read. They probably don't have a good database as of yet since the car just came out recently. But I would add that if you are already concerned about service costs, before even buying the car, you might want to look elsewhere. MB's are high performance/high value automobiles and if you buy one, don't try servicing it on the cheap--unless you want to have trouble down the road. The comment that they are in the shop more than they are on the road is pure BS! They are excellent cars and if you buy one w/ that in mind and don't scrimp on service, you should love your new car. Prices do vary, but my dealer (Aristocrat Motors in KC) has very good prices for what they do--and if you are a member of MB Club of America, they give a 15% discount on all parts and labor. As an example of a typical oil change they only charge $59.95 for a Mobile 1 and fleece filter change w/ a 21-point check of the car.

Don't believe everything you think
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: Don't own a Mercedes, probably because I fix them for a living. LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masoncop View Post
Consider yourself very lucky so far.
I have seen numerous cars come in the shop after something being damaged or left loose, or not put on right, or not put on at all! from Jiffy Lube and other quick lube joints.

Matter of fact, my brother in law came over to my house the other day after having his astro van at Jiffy lube for an oil change.

As soon as he hit my street, he heard a loud POP! then as soon as he hit my driveway his oil light came on.
Sure enough, he lost all of his oil coming up the street into my driveway.

I looked underneath and found his oil filter totally missing.
We walked down the street and found it on the ground with no gasket on it.

The only thing I can think of is that it may have been double gasketed and the tech did not peel off the old filter gasket.

Luckily, I have an astro myself and had an extra filter and oil in my garage.

I am a little embarassed because now I have a huge oil slick in the middle of the street leading right into my driveway where my Dodge Dart is parked, and everyone probably thinks my Dart is a big piece of crap and caused it all...LOL!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
Jiffy Lube, among others quick lubes, have been sued numerous times for their lack of ability to actually change the oil and filter or for their failure to screw on the filter or breaking other parts while they are in doing their work.

The same principles apply to McDonald's and other fast-food places, but are never a concern there.
In another words why some advocate for servicing at MB dealer only, but don't press anybody to eat at Black Angus only?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
The same principles apply to McDonald's and other fast-food places, but are never a concern there.
In another words why some advocate for servicing at MB dealer only, but don't press anybody to eat at Black Angus only?
There is a large difference between indy's and quick lubes... BIG!!!!!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:26 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2016
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I currently own a 2012 C350 coupe. In my first year of ownership, I accumulated about 31k miles, which brought routine dealership maintenance costs to approximately $3,500 USD. This total includes 2 new tires and front brake pads, as well.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 03:05 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopfsache204 View Post
I currently own a 2012 C350 coupe. In my first year of ownership, I accumulated about 31k miles, which brought routine dealership maintenance costs to approximately $3,500 USD. This total includes 2 new tires and front brake pads, as well.
That is a serious commute. Figuring high on the prices, maybe $500 for the tires and assuming it was done at the dealership $1000(????) for the pads, what else had to be done?

Mike
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 08:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2012
Vehicle: 1972 220 D, 1974 450SL, 1995 E300D 2002 S430, 1976 300D
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
The dealership network has been taken over by idiots and pirates who will rape and pillage your wallet instead of providing a level of service comparable the the marketing spin of the great Mercedes Mystique. The cars were rolling turds while merged with Chrysler. Also crap because the marketing boys took over from engineering in the 1990's. The accepted logic is that Benz removed their heads from a smelly oriface around 2006 and tried to salvage the reputation by building a better car. Sadly, they are just turning out expensive Korean cars.

My spouse purchased a Hyundaiaeaia e-i-e-i-o a few years back. Compared to my 2002 W220, the Kimchee car is of higher build quality and materials. The stuff on the dealership floors is not meant to be purchased, it is for the folks to lease, so the dealer makes a bucket of cash off payments and service, when they get them back, either go CPO or just auction them to second tier sales lots.

I spent far too many hours this year sitting in the local dealers service dungeon. The techs screwed up the work, so I had to make four visits for something that should have been done right the first time. The seats were all full of aspirational owners (non-WASP) with newer cars who were getting reamed by the service charges to get their cars back on the road. Initial charge to attempt the fix on my car was $1800. They then went back in three more time to get it right, all on their dime.

My take is that unless you are going to perform the bulk of any repair or work yourself, the Mercedes cars are not a viable vehicle to own by anybody with an income of less than six figures.

Clay

74 450SL - Froggy
'02 s320 - Victor
'76 300D - Voldemort
'95 E300D - Cleo
'72 220D - Gump
'87 300SDL - POS SDL

92 300SE - #1 boys ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in