Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Buying a used import in the UK - discount?
Hi guys, new to the forums, but having just come up with the means to purchase the SLK I have wanted for years, hoping to spend some more time here soon!
I have managed to find a car that meets the spec I am after almost perfectly with one problem: it was originally bought in Germany but brought over to the UK for 1st registration. It has been registered here for 3 years and serviced at a mercedes dealership the whole time. I am buying it as a "used approved" from the dealership that has done the servicing.
The VeDoc printed out by the dealer indicates that it is "U92 - Regional Code 2 - Europe, Japan". Notwithstanding that, it is right hand drive, has head lamps for left side driving and came with a certificate of conformity.
I am having quite a bit of difficulty in understanding the whole parallel import thing and was hoping you guys might be able to shed a little light.
(1) Is the above VeDoc information meaningful to anyone reading these boards? In particular the regional code thing?
(2) How can I tell if this specification matches the UK specification car?
(3) Are you able to determine where this car was originally intended to be used - (I am confused because I thought all of continental Europe and Japan was LHD).
(4) Is it true that a lot of people did these parallel imports in late 04, early 05 because there was a long waiting list for SLK's in the UK?
(5) What kind of discount do you think is reasonable to pay for a parallel import?
I really appreciate any info anyone might be able to give.