LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hidden Mercedes Features?

I have a general question about hidden features. I had a land rover before I had my benz and you could just buy the seat heater switch pop the little cover on the dash put the switch in and voila you had heated seats. They actually all had the same seats you just had to put the switch in to activate it. Does Mercedes have anything like this to enable a feature that you otherwise would have to pay for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 11:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What model do you have?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 11:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
ejection seat?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Kajtek could have given you details about the secret menu that activates the ejection seat, if you don't want it instead of activating all the rest that is missing from the car.

You should not expect too may equally simple additions as the example, it would be mainly electronic ones (fuel left in the tank in addition to mileage left) and a few others that are market dependent and in a transient for cost optimisation (folding rear view mirrors).

If MB optimises the wiring harness, leaving out a few wires when an option does not come from the factory, you can be sure it is not only the heated seats button missing (for an example).

The few that exist, are probably listed many times at each car specific sub-forum, or audio & telematics.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I have a C320 and a CLK 500.

As for the ejection seat pshaw I don't need it I already have the ability to push my rear defrost button and have the glass shatter spewing glass behind me and hopefully puncturing the tires of the chase vehicle. (I am not kidding) I had the glass replaced and have not had the nerve to try that button again!!!!

Thanks for the info about how MB designs, I guess land rover thought it would just be cheaper to make every seat the same and sell a button for $1500 if someone wanted it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 11:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMerc View Post
Thanks for the info about how MB designs, I guess land rover thought it would just be cheaper to make every seat the same and sell a button for $1500 if someone wanted it.
I have no business education but this one should be similar price differentiation as MB has for the 200/220 diesels, pretty accurately the same car but ECU programmed for lower HP (give or take some minor differences but really worth the price difference).

I can think of Rover owners mostly buying the car with the option you referred, but they want to make a cheaper car available for those who really are after lower price and do not value the feature. Now if it was only a few cars relatively, and specifically in absolute terms, it is cheaper for Rover to just leave out the switch.

MB makes more cars and their production is pretty well trimmed for custom options (outside USA we can select options individually and mostly no restrictions to some engine models). In their case a physical saving makes more sense than for many other models. It still sometimes looks like this optimisation goes a bit too far, but that is mainly seen by users who are after different retrofit stuff.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 04:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Partially on topic: Many products have this "managed value" for lack of a better way to describe it. Take copiers for example. Companies make a 20 copy per minute model, a 25 or 28 cpm model, a 30 or 33 cpm model and they are all identical except for price and the chip that slows them down.

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in