post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1995 S-420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Looking to import a 2005 C230K to Canada

Hi all. This question is mainly for Canadians or people who have some knowledge or experience of importing a Mercedes into Canada. I apologize in advance if this matter is already discussed. Ok heres the story. Looking at a 2005 C230 Kompressor Sport with 6,000 miles on it. Asking price $24000 US. First of all I want to ask if its a good deal or not? Secondly I will really appreciate if someone with knowledge/ experience of importing a Mercedes into Canada, could shed some light on it as to is it really worth importing a car with these specs into Canada after all the taxes and modification costs e.t.c? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 07:44 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2001 CL500
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azatrum View Post
Hi all. This question is mainly for Canadians or people who have some knowledge or experience of importing a Mercedes into Canada. I apologize in advance if this matter is already discussed. Ok heres the story. Looking at a 2005 C230 Kompressor Sport with 6,000 miles on it. Asking price $24000 US. First of all I want to ask if its a good deal or not? Secondly I will really appreciate if someone with knowledge/ experience of importing a Mercedes into Canada, could shed some light on it as to is it really worth importing a car with these specs into Canada after all the taxes and modification costs e.t.c? Thank you in advance.
Provide the VIN to Mercedes Benz Canada to find out if this car this "admissable" into Canada. If it is, they will advise you of any modifications required (bumper reinforcements, instrument cluster, daytime running lights, etc.) You then take the list to an authorized dealer in Canada, to find out the cost. The dealer is permitted to charge you for that estimate.
Don't forget the 6.1% import duty, GST, etc. in addition to the Govt. fee, air condition charge and transportation. Add up all the costs and then compare the toal to what you might have to pay for the same car sitting in Canada.
Good luck (I imported a 2001 CL500 from Texas 18 months ago, I did save some money)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you calgary for all the info. And sorry for the late reply. I have gone through some other forums also about this and overall i am getting mixed messages. Some people say its really worth it, you do save alot of money but others say its not worth the hassel and saving. To be honest i am confused at this point. I do have one more question for you though. They say that the tax amount is determined on basis of the bluebook value of the car, now is it just one common bluebook or canada has a diffrent one based on canadian prices? I also heard from someone that they could be using red book as well. Would you happen to have any knowledge about this?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 03:19 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2001 CL500
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azatrum View Post
Thank you calgary for all the info. And sorry for the late reply. I have gone through some other forums also about this and overall i am getting mixed messages. Some people say its really worth it, you do save alot of money but others say its not worth the hassel and saving. To be honest i am confused at this point. I do have one more question for you though. They say that the tax amount is determined on basis of the bluebook value of the car, now is it just one common bluebook or canada has a diffrent one based on canadian prices? I also heard from someone that they could be using red book as well. Would you happen to have any knowledge about this?
The tax (import duty) is calculated on the actual amount that you paid for the car. Because some people try to save on the duty, they show an invoice that understates the true amount paid for the car. Therefore the customs office has books that show true market value for the cars. If your purchase price seems too low, they might want to confirm the amount you paid with the seller of the car. - So no cheating...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you calgary for all the info. Right now i still havent decided on getting that car, thats because based on all the research i have done so far, i have come to a conclusion that for a used C-class, i am going to end up paying atleast $10 grand on taxes and modifications which i think is a bit too much. Even after all that if i am lucky enough to save 2-3 grand, i dont think its going to be worth all the effort and time. So lets see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in