post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2008 E350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Why it bothers me

We just turned in a 2005 Audi A6 and I figured that a more expensive German car would have all of the features of an Audi and then some. So far these are the differences I've noted:

In the A6 shifting into reverse tilted the passenger-side mirror downward to assist in parking next to a curb. My Benz manual gives directions how to set the mirror to do this, but it doesn't work and my salesman said it was dropped this year.

The Audi trunk came with two sets of pull-down hooks for hanging shopping bags, the E350 came with one. The Audi also came with a sturdy net to hold down loose packages. I had to ask my salesman to throw it in as part of the deal. It is on order for me.

The Audi had a glovebox light that works without having to use the ignition key, as discussed before.

The Audi came with a full-sized spare on a matching alloy wheel. The Benz has a doughnut.

The Audi came with fold-down rear seats as standard. It is an extra-cost option with the Benz.

The Audi came with a smaller plastic wallet key; the Benz did not.

The Benz has a quieter engine and more HP, which I hope will let me merge faster onto a highway. I really had to goose the A6 after having gotten used to driving my 2003 Jag with a V8.

The Benz CD player has more options than the Audi but perhaps Audi may have them in the 2008 model, such as being able to play MP3 CDs and using random play.

The Benz has 3 memorized presets for the driver seat instead of only 2 in the Audi, and it has them for the passenger seat as well. The Audi, however, enabled you to push the button for the seat just once if you do it before getting into the car. With the Benz you have to sit down and put in the key and hold the button as it moves to the setting. It was much more convenient with the Audi.

I do like the fact that the gas-line cover and the trunk is unlocked when you don't have the car locked. Many times I needed something from the Audi's trunk while it was sitting in my garage and I had to first open the driver's door and hit the trunk release button. This makes no sense; why keep it locked when the door is unlocked, which enables anybody to pop the trunk open.

The rear-view mirror in the Audi was attached to the windshield with a narrow neck that enabled my wife to hand her handicap tag from the mirror. The Benz design doesn't allow that. I improvised a loop around the mirror from which she can hang the tag.

I am sure that I will find other differences as I get familiar with the Benz and many of them may favor the Benz.

Sorry for the very long post.

Sponsored Links
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 09:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Just visited my car and remembered this thread, I tried my glove box on the W221. The light comes on when I open the door and the glove box door, don't need to put the key in. It also remains on at least some time after I take the key out. I did not try it on the W211 yet, I guess it would be different as the car in concern here was a an E-class.

The donut spare is an optimisation for weight and trunk space. In Europe they went further and left the donut out (this is probably also a cost saving issue, unlike the donut).

The rear view mirror on my cars tilt when reversing. Not sure if it exists on current Euro W211 cars but the W221 is relatively new. The feature was removed from US cars that still had all the HW for that feature, you can see old posts about that and the arguments MBUSA had.

The list would really be a lot longer if you did all difference at this level. Multiple things would feel better on one car, often depending on the personal preference, sometimes probably with a wider agreement. You just cannot expect that an x dollars more expensive car would have exactly everything the x dollars less expensive car would have, and then some extra worth x dollars. Several things also simply cannot be measured by money.

I hope you enjoy the Benz in any case.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2008 E350
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I need some help

Thanks for the message.

I am new to this forum and I need some help:

What are W211 and W221?

What is HW?

I searched the forum for the tilt-down outside mirror and found some posts but none about the discussion as to why MBUSA got rid of it.

We are enjoying the Benz. I need to use the navigation system more to experiment with different choices of displays and to find out what happens if I deviate from the calculated route. Does it tell me recalculating or does it just recalculate and gives me new instructions?

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 09:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
W211 and W221 are the chassis/model numbers or codes. There is a thread somewhere in the General forum with a short list of what the various letters and numbers mean.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: