LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down Need help--Engine Start

Hey This is my first time here, so I am just hopeing one of you benz gearheads can help me out.

Story-
I Bought a 1992 300TE wagon strait 6 auto with 140,000 miles on it. My plan was to use it just as a beach cruizer. 2 Days went by and it ran great then last night at the store it strait died wile driving.

Anyway I got it back to my place to truble shoot it and so far i am stumped.

What I have done /found:
took out all spark plugs they look dirty but not bad, Then I grounded them out on the motor and all of them have a good spark.

The batt was still charged all the way because I cranked the motor about 30 times and its still not dead but its slowing.

Fuel- I disconected the fuel lines from the injectors and cranked it the fuel drips out at about 3 drops in 2 seconds.

I disconected the fuel line from the weird fuel maifold thing right under the intake cover and it squirted out like crazy.

So the pump and filter seem to be good.

last thing I did was take all the sparkplugs out and pluged the holes with my thumb to see if I could feel compression and yes all six cyl pushed my thumb out no prob... I am going to check it out with a real tool as soon as I get my hands on one.

I also tryed spraying starter fluid in the TB... nothing.

Has oil
Has water

there is no oil in the water and no water in the oil.

The wired thing is that once it died it has not even studered or misfired or any sign of life becies cranking over.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT... please dont post a pic of a new car I cant afford it.

THANKS!!!

Last edited by Aren D.; 11-09-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 04:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Have you got any diagonistic tools? Suspect it may be the crankcase sensor but also disconnect all electrical connectors in the engine bay, clean out residue the liberally spray with WD-40 or other spray lubricant, especially those related to the ignition/fuel system!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 05:17 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punjabi View Post
Have you got any diagonistic tools? Suspect it may be the crankcase sensor but also disconnect all electrical connectors in the engine bay, clean out residue the liberally spray with WD-40 or other spray lubricant, especially those related to the ignition/fuel system!
Punjabi, get into the real world will you. From reading your posts on BWOT, I believe you are an intelligent person, however, technically minded you are obviously not.

First, there is no such thing as a crankcase sensor, what you are trying to say is the crankshaft position sensor (CPS) German (KPS). But if this was the case there would be no spark and he has said there is spark at the plugs.

It is a very obvious fuel problem, now do you want to try give him decent advice on his fuel problem? Cleaning electrical connectors will not help Back to you

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 08:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 CLK430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I agree with eric, this has to be the worst advice I've ever seen.

"disconnect all electrical connectors in the engine bay"

This is "World Class" stupid advice. I've worked on cars where the owner has started unplugging connectors with the hope that they stumble across something. It usually causes additional problems. Not knowing the level of the OP mechanical skills, the best advice I can give is to find a good mechanic and NOT follow the advice of crackpots who say to disconnect ALL electrical connectors.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 12:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: Bandwidth
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusF View Post
I agree with eric, this has to be the worst advice I've ever seen.

"disconnect all electrical connectors in the engine bay"

This is "World Class" stupid advice. I've worked on cars where the owner has started unplugging connectors with the hope that they stumble across something. It usually causes additional problems. Not knowing the level of the OP mechanical skills, the best advice I can give is to find a good mechanic and NOT follow the advice of crackpots who say to disconnect ALL electrical connectors.
Hey Eric, Quite rightly it is known as the CPS! If the injectors are not getting any electrical impulse what the heck is going to solve that other than possibly eliminating the electrical connection!?!

I would tend to disagree with this Marcus joker's view which reflects the typical attitude adopted by the Dealers to fleece the unwary....$$$$$!
Aren's resolve in this respect will hopefully confirm where the problem rested!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 05:26 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey Eric, Quite rightly it is known as the CPS! If the injectors are not getting any electrical impulse what the heck is going to solve that other than possibly eliminating the electrical connection!?!

I would tend to disagree with this Marcus joker's view which reflects the typical attitude adopted by the Dealers to fleece the unwary....$$$$$!
Aren's resolve in this respect will hopefully confirm where the problem rested!
Simply view this as a fuel problem and go from there.

ERIC.

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second ... if there is one."
- Winston Churchill, in response.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2007
(Thread Starter)
Bad CPS

After reading your replys and calling mercedes tech, it is looking about 95% like a bad crank postion senson, I took the old one off which is about a 20-30 min job.
Just FOR info if some one else has this problem:
Take off the air filter assembly, then I removed the oil filter- hardly any oil spilt sence it is installed inverted and then you can find sensor bolted down with one 6mm alen key bolt once that is out just pop it out then trace the cord and cut the zip ties to get it off the other side of the cord is just a simple 2 wire canon plug that just pops off.

What the Mercedes tech told me is that sence this engine is not computer controlled the cps reads the crank in order to sequince the fuel injectors pretty simple if the sensor is broken no fuel for the engine.

Once I get the part I will let you know if it fixs the problem.

Thanks for the help so far I never even knew a crank postion sensor existed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in